www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:12 pm 

I suppose this is mostly a vent: Diarrhea is a real problem when your level of control is not 100% under pressure. Miy weakness is due to nerve damage caused by years of diabetes.

I see a lot of ads on aired TV programs, advertising this or that med. If I look at my own meds, it's the same: "may cause diarrhea". Since I can't live without the meds or find suitable alternatives, it means living with the horror of "spontaneous expulsion".

I am experimenting with Whole Psyllium Husks and it seems to help a little. But it is not 100%, which is disappointing. As I look forward to outdoor events this coming summer season, I am also bracing for the added level of protection level I may need.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:26 pm 

Although I am not diabetic, I do have fecal accidents from time to time. And I cannot respond accurately to your concern that so many medications have diarrhea as a side effect. I take an internal deodorant, such as Nullo or Devrom with every solid meal, and wear protection that I hope will be up to the task of giving me time to find a place to wash and change when necessary. I'm sure you will have useful advice for other diabetics. Keep us informed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:27 pm 

It has been about a month now for this experiment. So far, I can say it has been helpful to take whole psyllium husks after my breakfast. It hasn't been a 100% cure however but it has made it safer for me to go out shopping etc. A few times, I have been afflicted with a sudden need to go while inside the store. But the fibre adding bulk to the stool has made it possible for me to control it. That's a win in my book.

I take a tablespoon of the psyllium husk in a tall glass of water, right after breakfast. It's like drinking a glass of orange juice pulp, without the orange taste. But it is getting easier to take with each additional week. Most of my diarrhea problem is due (I think) to the metformin taken with breakfast. So I only take it once per day.

I haven't tested whether it helps with taking other problematic IBS-d foods. I expect it can help but that experiment can wait.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:30 pm 

The plot thickens. In the last week I forgot my fibre supplement on one day and did not suffer from diarrhea. So I continued to not take it and have been fine since. It's been about 5 days now and no diarrhea has returned. I need to drive my wife to a hospital an hour away tomorrow, so I will take some fibre tomorrow just to be safe.

But this is oh so weird, though not complaining.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:20 pm 

Please be aware that, without fiber or another medication, your relief at not having to deal with diarrhea could be interrupted by a blockage, with or without diarrhea. The goal is to use ducosate sodium or fiber appropriately, to manage your situation.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:18 am 

I will second what Patrick said.

--John

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:11 pm 

Quote:
your relief at not having to deal with diarrhea could be interrupted by a blockage, with or without diarrhea

I'll keep that in mind. But so far I have been regular and with no cramps or constipation. I have stopped taking fibre and will see what time tells.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:10 pm 

Today is the 13th and my usual diarrhea has returned. I think what happens is that the psyllium fibre lingers for a few days, as evidence in the toilet shows. My conclusion is that I can probably safely skip days and maintain a semblance of control.