Switch to full style
How do you deal with fecal incontinence?
Post a reply

Whole Psyllium Husk

Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:54 pm

Due to frequent and inconvenient diarrhea (IBS-d), I have been trying some whole psyllium husk in small quantities. For background, I take Janumet, which includes metformin at breakfast and at dinner time for diabetes. The metformin has been the primary contributor to my diarrhea, which mostly seems to occur at around 1 pm and later daily. And I did have a morning blowout a couple of weeks ago.

So far, the whole psyllium husk has been helpful and I have been diarrhea free. I have been using a half teaspoon's worth once a day with extra hydration. Today I didn't take any and remain good, though I expect that my condition will return.

Anyone else using Psyllium Husk? Any ways to make it more palatable for consumption? I have been just taking it with a glass of spring water, though I have tried mixing it with juices with mixed taste results.

Re: Whole Psyllium Husk

Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:53 pm

I just mix the psyllium husk with water and drink it. If you drink it immediately after mixing, it's like earthy water. If you wait a few moments, it's like an earthy milkshake. Wait a few moments longer and it would be good for hanging wallpaper or to use as glue or wood filler etc.

Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:36 am

On recommendation of my gastroenterologist, I take Benefiber with most meals. My issue is gastroparesis, which is different than IBS/D; however, it might be worth a try. It cannot be worse than grain husks in water. Good luck, and report back when you can. I'm always on the lookout for anything that improves bowel control.

Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:56 pm

BeneFibre looks like it would fit my needs being easier to get down. Even though Walmart.ca has carried it before, it doesn't seem to be in stock. I'll keep a lookout for that.

And FredWinNY: Yes, I'll try to avoid the wallpaper paste!
Post a reply