www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Whole Psyllium Husk
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:54 pm 

Due to frequent and inconvenient diarrhea (IBS-d), I have been trying some whole psyllium husk in small quantities. For background, I take Janumet, which includes metformin at breakfast and at dinner time for diabetes. The metformin has been the primary contributor to my diarrhea, which mostly seems to occur at around 1 pm and later daily. And I did have a morning blowout a couple of weeks ago.

So far, the whole psyllium husk has been helpful and I have been diarrhea free. I have been using a half teaspoon's worth once a day with extra hydration. Today I didn't take any and remain good, though I expect that my condition will return.

Anyone else using Psyllium Husk? Any ways to make it more palatable for consumption? I have been just taking it with a glass of spring water, though I have tried mixing it with juices with mixed taste results.

Post subject: Re: Whole Psyllium Husk
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:53 pm 

I just mix the psyllium husk with water and drink it. If you drink it immediately after mixing, it's like earthy water. If you wait a few moments, it's like an earthy milkshake. Wait a few moments longer and it would be good for hanging wallpaper or to use as glue or wood filler etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:36 am 

On recommendation of my gastroenterologist, I take Benefiber with most meals. My issue is gastroparesis, which is different than IBS/D; however, it might be worth a try. It cannot be worse than grain husks in water. Good luck, and report back when you can. I'm always on the lookout for anything that improves bowel control.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:56 pm 

BeneFibre looks like it would fit my needs being easier to get down. Even though Walmart.ca has carried it before, it doesn't seem to be in stock. I'll keep a lookout for that.

And FredWinNY: Yes, I'll try to avoid the wallpaper paste!