www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Libraries - Why?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:53 pm 

I don't know what it is about libraries but every time I get to the 2nd floor and into my favourite section for browsing, I suddenly get a very strong BM urge. In the past, it was just an annoyance requiring me to go back down stairs and out to where the washrooms are. But today, I nearly lost control as I descended the stairs.

I hate this being barely in control.

I had my daily cheap brief on at the time because I seldom have an issue when out for short trips. But this time, I had to baby-step it down the stairs to avoid losing control while clenching. I was wishing I was better protected (when will I learn?) There were only two stalls in the washroom and thankfully the one was free otherwise I might not have been able to hold it. I guess when it comes to libraries, I need to be better protected given my history.

Post subject: Re: Libraries - Why?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:48 am 

Wayne, do stairs generally have this effect on you? When climbing stairs we strain and increase the internal pressure a bit.

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:57 am 

wayne wrote:
I don't know what it is about libraries but every time I get to the 2nd floor and into my favourite section for browsing, I suddenly get a very strong BM urge. In the past, it was just an annoyance requiring me to go back down stairs and out to where the washrooms are. But today, I nearly lost control as I descended the stairs.

I hate this being barely in control.

I had my daily cheap brief on at the time because I seldom have an issue when out for short trips. But this time, I had to baby-step it down the stairs to avoid losing control while clenching. I was wishing I was better protected (when will I learn?) There were only two stalls in the washroom and thankfully the one was free otherwise I might not have been able to hold it. I guess when it comes to libraries, I need to be better protected given my history.

Hi Wayne

Thought it was only me glad I am not alone I have exactly the same thing some scientific explanation out there. I have the same problem in other places, was in a hotel the other day and had a walk and the place was deserted.

Greenbank

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:54 pm 

Have you tried Nullo or Devrom? Added to a capacious diaper and plastic pants, either of these internal deodorants have given me precious extra time to find a suitable restroom to wash and change.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:08 pm 

It is possible that the climbing of the stairs is a factor (they are a large pair of stairs). Interesting that greenbank has similar experiences.

Patrick: I do take ChloroFresh as just in case measure, and it helps. There isn't really a good stall to change in, however (too small). But I have to admit that I don't usually fully prepare for this kind of accident. I do need to change that if this keeps up (and it seems to be). It's also an issue I need to discuss with my Dr., though I'm not hopeful there is much that can be done.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:56 am 

JDinVirginia wrote:
Wayne, do stairs generally have this effect on you? When climbing stairs we strain and increase the internal pressure a bit. --John (double incontinent)

The more I think about this, the more I think you're right. The stairs seem to bring BM on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:39 pm 

I have an issue every time I go to Home Depot. There is something about the smell in there that sends my bowels into overdrive. Perhaps it's the smell of musty old books?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:20 pm 

I've had the same problem with stairs bringing on a BM. Not everytime by a long shot but enough times to make the connection. I think it's something to do with the motion of climbing stairs moves a lot of internal muscles in the bowel area.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:43 am 

I think there's something to this.. James Hetfield said that whenever he goes into a hardware store, he has to poop. I crapped myself at Lowe's.. and have pooped myself more than once shopping. Stairs definitely aggravate the sensation of needing to poop as does riding a bike. For my part, I know to avoid pizza before a bike ride and to make sure I both attempt to use the bathroom before going and to wear a diaper with leak guards. My bowels have started to act up somewhat, so I am grateful that I decided to order some disposables. Fecal incidents with cloth are not fun. I did have a diaper sprayer, but that leaked like a sive.. so right now I am left without an easy way to rinse poop out of a cloth diaper should there be a day where my bowels misbehave. Those occasions are thankfully rare and mostly tied to constipation.

Fecal incontinence is something I am grateful that I don't contend with on a daily basis, and my heart goes out to those who do. The one thing that would convince me to use disposables more than cloth is that if I had fecal accidents on a more regular basis. As it stands now, they are thankfully rare. Fecal managment with cloth is possible.. but complicated and messy.

Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:53 am 

Quote:
I think there's something to this.. James Hetfield said that whenever he goes into a hardware store, he has to poop. I crapped myself at Lowe's.. and have pooped myself more than once shopping.
Those are my worst fears. I've nearly lost it in Canadian Tire (auto/hardware store) once. I'm pretty leary of going back there. Part of that fear stems from the fact that they have NO washrooms. In the past if I felt the need to go I could suppress it and if urgent leave for home. Now things are not so simple.