www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Enemas for FI management
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:55 am 

For years, with medical approval or by presciption, I have used daily morning enemas to manage my bowel incontinence. This has been very successful.

I am not referring to the chemical Fleets enemas, but rather to old-fashioned soapsuds or tapwater saline enemas often administered from a hanging red rubber bag. You may be surprised to learn that this is gentler on my system than laxatives. I like the fact that once done I almost can forget about fecal incontinence until the next morning.

While my enemas are very “retro,” a recent innovation has been the use of catheters (nozzles) with inflatable balloons to “plug” the anus to help hold the enema solution in place. Currently I am using a double balloon catheter (DBC) that works well for me. It was approved by my SCI rehab docs and completely relieves me of the need to overstrain my weakened sphincter muscles to retain the nozzle. With the DBC I don’t leak a drop so no more unpleasant cleanups. :D

I also have used the Peristeen Irrigation System, but the DBC system is more effective for me.

Who else is using enemas to manage their bowel incontinence, at least sometimes? What are you using and how has it workd for you?

—John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:06 pm 

I occasionally use enemas when I develop a bowel blockage that won't respond to laxatives, or that is causing me excessive bowel leakage. My problem is that I am clumsy. Giving my self enemas almost always means a bathroom cleanup afterwards. At my gastroenterologist appointment today, he suggested sacral nerve stimulation, a surgical procedure that I want to avoid. He also suggested a change in my medication schedule, to relieve nocturnal regurgitation and also the need for laxatives and enemas.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:27 am 

Patrick, those post-enema cleanups are most unpleasant and to be avoided, if possible. :( But, with my double balloon catheter, I literally do not leak a drop.

Good luck with your gastroenterologist appointment. Your medical situation is so complex there are no "easy" decisions for you.

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:48 am 

Double balloon catheter? Never heard of it before. Is a prescription required?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:52 pm 

My latest GI appointment was interesting. He changed my diet and medication schedule, in an effort to manage my nocturnal regurgitation/vomiting. He thinks I'm managing my periodic blockages well; however, the changes he recommended may threaten that success. I'll contact him in two weeks for further evaluation. I can imagine beginning to use more frequent enemas and/or stronger laxatives with this new regimen.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:58 am 

Patrick, double balloon catheters (a.k.a. "Bardex"-like) can be found OTC from some medical supply houses and online sources. Please note that most of these devices are not FDA-approved. The medical community is concerned that they often have not been designed for safety and can be abused (such as dangerously over-inflating).

My physician and I have discussed mine, and its safe usage, in detail. She is knowledgeable of my considerable experience with enemas (somewhere over 6,300) and my cautious approach.

Although they have worked very well for me, I would not recommend the DBC catheters for most other incontinents as they can be unsafe if not used correctly and very cautiously. :(

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:37 am 

I got the impression from my last GI appointment that loss of bowel control is common among folks whose GI systems are paralyzed. I do need to become more skilled at managing this, so I welcome any and all advice that comes my way.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:16 am 

Patrick, I have sent you a PM.

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:16 pm 

JD, sorry I cannot find it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:38 am 

Patrick,

Alas, I cannot find it either. Due to my lack of familiarity with PMs my message has disappeared into the ether. Also, I cannot find a backup copy. My bad. :( I will try to reconstitute what I had to say and send it to you later.

--John
(double incontinent)