www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It seemed inevitable
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:57 pm 

Due to prior experiences of near loss of control, I have feared an unwelcome BM for some time. Yesterday, after arriving home from shopping, I should have ran into the house and used the toilet immediately. But in the past, this could be put off long enough to bring the bags into the house. While bringing in the last bags, I could not hold back a loose BM accident. Yuk! Thankfully, I did wear plastic pants as a second line of defence over the Molicare Mobile pull-ups. It saved my jeans.

I have been taking chlorophyll copper capsules to reduce the smell. Thanks to all for recommending that, since it helped reduce the cleanup trauma.

Now I am in the unhappy position of having to prepare for the worst in future outings. It has shaken my confidence too. I tried wearing a BetterDry this morning but it is too bulky (uncomfortable) for daytime wear. I can't remember if the Tranquility SlimLine had leak guards. I know that ATN has them, though not that tall. My other thought is to consider TENA Ultra cloth backed and wear the plastic pants over them. I think it's going to be another year of experimentation to find what works for me.

The pull-ups were so easy and comfortable. To use an overused phrase, this is a game changer. I skipped my coffee this morning (a first!). I didn't want to repeat the experience.

Last edited by wayne on Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: It seemed inevitable
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:42 pm 

I've been there. And I've lost a few pair of jeans as a result. I never go out without a diaper and pul pants. Never. I hate the cleanup. Ugh I just feel for you. Sounds like you handled it in the best way possible. It sucks when the denial is finally over and you realize that this is the new norm. Now I can't even tell if I have a diaper on sometimes. I guess it's because Ive been wearing since 2015. It does get easier I'll tell you that. Bowel accidents just suck. There is no way around it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:59 am 

Wayne, I have been in your shoes (and still am). As you have seen, pullups just do not work satisfactorily for fecal incontinence. Taped diapers are the better choice.

While very tall internal standing leak guards such as are found on BetterDry and MegaMax are optimal, any leak guards that are at least ¾" tall will help significantly. I look for at least 1 ½ inch tall leak guards. Although I normally wear a premium diaper with high leak guards, a thinner diaper that may work for you is the plastic-backed NorthShore Supreme Lite. It is their Northshore Supreme with less absorption. The very wide crotch provides more space for fecal material before it pushes up against the leak guards.

You will become accustomed to more bulk (I normally wear BetterDry) but may need to select looser trousers a size larger to accommodate the increased bulk.

In preparing for a bowel accident, note that PUL pants are breathable. While that is great for skin health, PUL transmits fecal odor quickly. You may wish to experiment with vinyl plastic or rubber pants. I use both. Rubber pants, while heavier, do not transmit as much fecal odor. For vinyl pants, the thickness (e.g., "6 mil") affects odor transmssion.

Congrats on using the internal deodorant capsules. I have used them during vacation travel. You have become proactive and that is a good sign that you are coping effectively with your FI.

Good luck!

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:10 pm 

This reads as though you are coping quite competently. Kudos, and keep up the good work. In the past I have used Nullo to control odor; currently I use Devrom. Fecal cleanups are the pits. I stagger when I try to wash and change, making a fecal cleanup of the bathroom an exasperating, time consuming chore. Clorox added to my diapers laundry becomes necessary.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:35 pm 

Thanks everyone for your encouragement. I'm still hoping this F-IC will be a rare event. However, this experience has proven that I need to embrace better protection.

While I don't like plastic pants for day wear, I do like the fact that they tend to keep odours confined. So I'll probably stick to using them. Clearly, I need to invest in some larger sized jeans and figure out what I can tolerate for "out wear". I love the hook and loop tapes of the TENA Super that I wear at night. But I might try the Northshore Supreme Lite as JD suggested. I found the review for them "... very discreet and thin but hold a lot. Hate the colour choices but otherwise highly recommend." interesting. I guess I should not dis the colour if they are otherwise good for the job. Purple just seems wrong and green looks childish to me. Maybe I'll consult my wife on this. :shock:

I skipped coffee again this morning before heading to church. I had tea instead and that seemed to be ok. It looks like I can get through this. :roll: