www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: balmex
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:27 pm 

so i had some bad fecal incontinence from my humira a few days ago. i was going to a friends house and must have not gotten myself totally cleaned. i irritated the crack in my behind pretty bad as i could not get to a bathroom for an hour. i cleaned daily with hibiclens and used balmex after each change (i mostly deal with urinary incontinence from a paralyzed bladder) im happy to report that the irritation is nearly gone.
i highly recommend balmex.

Post subject: Re: balmex
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:44 pm 

If you don't mind my asking, why are you on Humira?

If you're seeing symptoms such as incontinence/diarrhea, have you been checked to see if you've developed antibodies to Humira?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:52 pm 

I'm on humira for HS
I have a paralyzed neurogenic bladder from an accident. I've been incontinent since January 3rd of 2015. Only been on humira for 2 and a half months so they have nothing to do with each other. I also have bouts of diarrhea and fecal incontinence that I've had for years

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:45 pm 

Understood. As I developed antibodies to the various biologic drugs (including Humira), I found that there would be a point where suddenly the medication, instead of making things better, would suddenly make things worse.

So rather than relieving symptoms, it would worsen them.

Indeed, if I was in remission and trying to maintain it, sometimes taking a dose of the medication would actually push me into being sick.

Please understand that I am not advocating that you our anyone else stop their medication. I am still on a biologic for a chronic inflammatory disease myself, but so far I have burned out four biologics, and each one got to the point where it would cause joint pain, GI issues, etc. Twice we proved I had developed antibodies to the drugs, the other two times there was no test available, but we switched to a new drug and everything started working again.

My point is, one of the uses of Humira is to reduce inflammation in the gut. So if you get worsened gut symptoms each time you get Humira, this might be due to inflammation of your gut due to your body having a immune-system reaction to the Humira. It's a thing to mention to your doctor, hopefully they know about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:01 pm 

Yea I took my shot last Friday and haven't had had gi issues. I had a weird reaction to the anesthesia when I had my Amputation in 2019 that set off bowel problems for me