www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:01 pm 

I was wondering if anyone in this forum has experienced the onset of bowel incontinence because of diabetes (or has had it occurred gradually for you?) I just had another incident today where I just barely (I mean barely!) made it to the toilet at the office. I did have an accident a year ago (before my IC) that sent me home (lucky for me, no one was aware). Today's event has me more worried. I've read that some diabetics also become fecally incontinent but the percentages are lower than urinary. Still, this has me horrified. My full sympathies to those that must deal with this.

I suppose the signs of progression are obvious. But I wonder if there might be hints as to whether it is just related to foods consumed or a general onset of the disease. How do you know for sure? Ug. I did have popcorn on the weekend, which is almost a freebie for diabetics. But it might turn out to be yet another thing I'll have to give up. This diabetes thing is getting real old with me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:43 pm 

Because my fecal incontinence is unrelated to diabetes, take my reply with lots of salt. If this becomes frequent enough to cause distress (as though even one fecal accident were not enough) you might consult a gastroenterologist, to learn whether the diabetes has indeed attacked the nerves to your pelvic floor. For me, diet management is crucial, if for different reasons than it is for diabetics. That might be another avenue to explore. Good luck and keep us informed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:26 am 

Thanks Patrick. For now, thankfully, it has a frequency of about once+/year. The fact that it seems to be a reoccuring event concerns me some. I'll be discussing it with the doc at some point but with this pandemic business I can't get direct access to him at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:55 pm 

Fecal incontinence is tough to talk about. I’m with Patrick, diet and a bowel program make my life very manageable but I still leak every day. It’s hard to explain the challenges but it is manageable.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:27 pm 

If this becomes more difficult and frequent, you might consider Nullo and/or Devrom to reduce the odor of your leakage and give you more time to locate a place to wash and change.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:44 am 

I have used Nullo very successfully, usually during lengthy travel. However, constipation often is one side effect of the higher doses that may be necessary to adequately reduce odor.

As many of us who are bowel incontinent actually have constipation-induced bowel incontinence in the form of overflow constipation, the increased constipation from the Nullo should be considered. I am not saying not to take Nullo, as it is a good product. Just consider the pros and cons.

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:31 pm 

In order to manage the constipation caused by Nullo and Devrom, I increase my dosage of stool softener, and add a tablespoon of polyethylene glycol to my breakfast cereal once or twice each week. An internal deodorant that works can be a life saver, even if using it forces me to adjust my diet.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:03 pm 

Lately I have been having some urgent trips to the toilet for BM. I've almost not made it sometimes. When released, it explodes into the toilet (diarrhea). I don't have constipation as a rule. The frequency of this has been increasing enough to cause me some real concern. I had similar issues in the summer time (at the island) when everything was BBQed and oily. I've been eating fast food at lunch times in the last few weeks and wonder if that is it.

So I'm going to cut that out and see if the problem subsides. This is scaring me to bits.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:46 pm 

Hi Wayn,

I have diabetes and have gone through all the neurological testing luckily without the confirmation of the problem. If you have a definite diabetic cystopathy, then a neurologist can find that out relatively easily. In this case, it is actually the case that there is an increased risk of also having fecal incontinence.

The longer you have diabetes and the worse your sugar levels are adjusted, the higher the risk of diabetic cystopathy. This does not mean that every incontinent diabetic has incontinence due to diabetes.

If this is the case, then there is usually not much you can do. That is why it is extremely important to keep an eye on the sugar values - especially the long-term sugar value - on a very regular basis, even with diabetes type 2.

With poor sugar values, the chance of developing diabetic cystopathy as a man is around 50% after 10 years. Interestingly, hardly anyone tells you this - there are always stories about diabetic feet and eye problems. Of course there are also - but it usually starts with incontinence.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:33 pm 

michael_dahlke wrote:
Hi Wayn,
The longer you have diabetes and the worse your sugar levels are adjusted, the higher the risk of diabetic cystopathy. This does not mean that every incontinent diabetic has incontinence due to diabetes.

If this is the case, then there is usually not much you can do. That is why it is extremely important to keep an eye on the sugar values - especially the long-term sugar value - on a very regular basis, even with diabetes type 2.

With poor sugar values, the chance of developing diabetic cystopathy as a man is around 50% after 10 years. Interestingly, hardly anyone tells you this - there are always stories about diabetic feet and eye problems. Of course there are also - but it usually starts with incontinence.
Today I had another incident while I was out clearing the snow. I felt the BM coming on and try as I might, I was unable to stop it fully. It was not diarrhea but it left my pull-up sullied enough that it wasn't going back on after visiting the toilet.

Right now, the frequency is rare enough but is increasing. If this ramps up more, I'll be headed for full-on mega diapers to contain it. Man, this is so depressing. I was really hoping to be spared of this.