www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:46 pm 

On August 6th I am getting botox to hopefully stop the huge amount of spasms I have that are causing a lot of my issues with constipation then fecal incontinence. The hope is for a reset of the muscles that are not working right but it was explained to my by my doctor that it is a long shot. (He actually said the odds of it fixing what is wrong would be like putting a 5-year-old in for Tom Brady during the first half of the super bowl)

But my only other options were to do nothing or end up with a colostomy or Ileostomy. Not something at 36 that I want to end up with but after my bowel surgery back in 2019 the doctor feels that I do not have a choice because my bowel is not working unless I am on a lot of medication.

So I am hopeful that this will work.

Develop from the negatives
Take another shot!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:17 am 

Back in 1998 - 1999, I had three series of Botox shots in my bladder to blunt frequent bladder spasms. They worked pretty much as advertised; however, as my body became accustomed to them, they wore off after successively shorter periods of time. When the third series worked for less than two months, the decision was made to go forward with the sphincterotomy. If you are having colon spasms similar to my bladder spasms, my heart goes out to you. Colon spasms are the pits. My gastroparesis is bad enough; colon spasms happen but rarely. The way you get them they must be far worse. Good luck and keep us informed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:38 am 

Patrick wrote:
Back in 1998 - 1999, I had three series of Botox shots in my bladder to blunt frequent bladder spasms. They worked pretty much as advertised; however, as my body became accustomed to them, they wore off after successively shorter periods of time. When the third series worked for less than two months, the decision was made to go forward with the sphincterotomy. If you are having colon spasms similar to my bladder spasms, my heart goes out to you. Colon spasms are the pits. My gastroparesis is bad enough; colon spasms happen but rarely. The way you get them they must be far worse. Good luck and keep us informed.

My Colorectal surgeon feels that I have Paradoxical puborectalis syndrome which occurs when the muscle does not relax when I bear down to pass stool. But I also have hypersensitivity that I cannot feel (Nerves are not working) so I can not make the muscles do what they should to have a proper bowel movement. So I only go when it gets to the overflow incontinence stage or if the muscles are hypersensitive and decides to clear my whole bowel at once. Most days I have two to three small bowel accidents a day but there is the odd full bowel void that is very bad. More like a double-shot glass amount every time. But when it is like that then my bladder is hyperactive which is something I have to wait to talk to my Urologist about.

Develop from the negatives
Take another shot!