www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:30 pm 

After years of complaining to assorted physicians, an episode of fecal regurgitation in 2009 made me insistent with my then physicians. A GI examination, repeated in 2012, indicated that I had a paralyzed GI system, which was causing abdominal pain, regurgitation and fecal leakage. My GI system was developing blockages, with time between BMs running five or six days; diarrhea would seep around the blockage and leak out. Without much advice or support, I discovered stool softener, ducosate sodium, which I began using with every meal. My current gastroenterologist does not like stool softeners, and told me to begin using Benefiber instead. But Benefiber, even with massive doses, does not prevent blockages for me. I went several days between BMs; abdominal pain and fecal leakage were returning, so I added ducosate sodium, in small doses, to the Benefiber regimen. So far, this seems to be working. I am grateful for diapers.

The point of this is to urge us all, especially fecal incontinents, to be insistent with our health care providers, wear protection (diapers) at all times, and be flexible in managing our incontinence.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:45 am 

Patrick, your recommendations to be "insistent with our health care providers" and be "flexible with our incontinence" are so very true. In being "insistent" with our doctors, I have found many medical practitioners to have very limited practical knowledge of fecal incontinence and its treatment and management. Personal experimentation usually is necessary to find an optimal treatment or management protocol.

Often online forums such as this one will provide realistic and practical means of managing fecal incontinence that are not addressed in books or published papers.

"Amen" with your statement "I am grateful for diapers."

--John

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:58 pm 

Being more insistent, I finally got my colonoscopy done this summer. The GI said that all is normal there (which I am grateful for) and is suggesting that I ask GP for alternatives to metformin. This has me confirming that both metformin and certain foods (due to IBS) are the root of my problems.

I have proven the IBS issue several times over. One example was I took a little bit of fresh apple cider (3rd of a glass) and soon I was urgently visiting the toilet for the rest of the afternoon. Coffee almost guarantees me F-IC after 2+ hours if I head out from home. And there is more.

I'm just waiting some other results before I see my GP again. I'm not very optimistic about solutions however, so we'll see.