www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:24 am 

Greetings All,

I'm hoping to transition more fully to cloth (currently $10-$12 a day for disposables, reduce landfill waste, etc.) but am curious how others have fared using cloth with fecal incontinence issues. While my issues are almost always confined to the early morning, and therefore I wear a disposable covered with cloth overnight and into the morning, there are times that it happens throughout the day. Clean up is (relatively) easy with a disposable, but I'm not sure I want to (or how to) deal with clean up of a cloth diaper after a full-on bowel accident.

Would appreciate any thoughts, ideas, helpful hints, etc.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:03 pm 

You'll need a get a sprayer attached under the sink, or on the water feed for the toilet tank. You dump the solids in the toilet, and use the sprayer to spray of as much of what remains as you can.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:58 pm 
Admin

I use prefolds and flats with plastic pants (high back). I bought a diaper sprayer off amazon that connects to my toilet water line. What MSU said is true. You have to spray off the soils into the toilet. Stool is not compatible with washing machines. I don’t use disposable wipes either. You can’t flush them. I bought flannel wipes off Etsy for $10-15 for a 10 pack. They’re handmade. I use those to clean up with. I wet them in the bathroom sink. When I’m done cleaning myself, I throw the reusable wipes in the wash with the cloth diaper. No trash. Only takes 2-3 for me to get clean. I also have a “wet bag” from Planetwise. Size large. Contains the smells and soils until I can wash them. I generally only have to do one load of laundry a day. It’s not too bad.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:37 am 

Bowel accidents for me are usually diarrhea which has seeped past a blockage. I simply rinse them in the toilet several times, put them in the wash that I do daily, with Clorox, clean myself and the bathroom, and get on with my day's activities.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:54 pm 

Thank you all for your input and suggestions! It gives me much to think about and prepare for going forward.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:41 pm 

We tried cloth diapers for a short time maybe 5 years ago. I did not care for them. I have intermittent feeling down there. But occasionally I could tell if I was wet. I did not like the fact I had to wear some type of plastic or rubber pants over them. And although I was not yet having complete bowel incontinence. It was often enough that I just did not like it. The idea of My husband or caregivers rinsing out a messy cloth diaper was extremely humiliating and made a very embarrassing situation worse.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:56 pm 

I recently tried cloth and I think that I would certainly switch AFTER my bowel movement of the day. It was much more cleaning up that I wanted. I do however prefer the feeling of cloth against my skin.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:00 pm 

LucOllie wrote:
I recently tried cloth and I think that I would certainly switch AFTER my bowel movement of the day. It was much more cleaning up that I wanted. I do however prefer the feeling of cloth against my skin.

Yes, I think that is the route I will go - stay with disposables until I get through my morning "routine," then switch to cloth.

@Brandie, I can see how cloth doesn't necessarily fit into your situation.

Thank you for the response!