www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question about products
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:52 pm 

Hi, when last we met, I was all curious about what to wear and how to deal with this issue. and i received a lot of advice (thanks!). I've found what works for me. And I'm sure there are many who would not use what I use. I found that I had to find a middle ground to meet my needs physically and accomodate (i suppose) my attitude about clothing (?). there are those, i'm sure who will say that's not good!

then I say, my solution is not yours and I know it has faults, but the ultimate thing is that the problem exists and happens often and i remain without major leaks and i almost always make it to the restroom and cleanup without a disaster along the way and i still can wear clothing the way i prefer, more or less.

so now i'm trying to refine my situation and I've come across a brand of pullups I've never worn. I've bought other brands at points that i didn't know anything about and then had to go through 15 to 20 wears i did not like with products that did not work as well for me. Generally these companies do not want to give or sell samples. they should but samples are not always easy to come by. I don't want to buy a whole package of something I don't know and then have to wear all of them even if they are not really that good.

The brand i am wondering about now is Rely (maximum protection pullups). Does anyone know anything about these? I've been using Dignity Compose pullups by Hartmann and these are great. they work for both urinary and fecal and get me safely to and from work and all through the day. but Rely costs less. and the Maximum appears in illustration to be comparable. But are they? If anyone knows, it would be really great if you could tell me a little about them. A lower price is a big attraction. I'd really appreciated comments about them. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:15 pm 

Your resistance to experimentation is wholly understandable. My closet is brimful and overflowing with brands I tried that did not pass muster. Good luck, and report back on the manufacturers who distribute free samples of their wares.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:21 am 

i can only say so far that those i like best i did not ask for samples and never received samples but what i use does involve a "balancing act" i will not say these are perfect. you could have trouble with them, but i didn't want to go the much larger sizes of pants. i still need to keep this problem a very private thing. i can't give up dressing the way i did previously and i also know that is a very difficult thing. i know how to hide things in plain sight. i believe i am a master at cleanup. odor is an issue but i think i know how to keep it at a minimum. maybe i am wrong. maybe i'm not very wrong.

i've found 2 brands that suit my needs and have had very minimal "leaks" if at all except when i knew I was at the point of taking chances and then it actually became too late. but these were pee and as i said, i did successfully hide the problem and take care of it. strangely this to me is better than wearing huge bulky things. that's me.

the brands i like are Compose Dignity by Hartmann which i found at Allegro Medical on line and Tena Overnight but the TONs are only in stores, usually more expensive and a bit too much padding. I can't dance and jump in the Compose, but i don't dance and jump anyway. i walk from the train to the bathroom at my job and remain relatively alone so no one has to come into my sphere of odor and i get clean and safe. there is alway a starbucks close by also and that is a good place. dealing this way isn't great but it does work a bit for me. i still have horrible feelings and i don't know that that aspect will ever go away. but i will be back if/when i come across good products or good news and i hope someone will let me know something about those RELY Maximum protection pullups. see you later...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:36 pm 

I prefer regular diapers at home, but haven't been able to make the regular tape on diapers work at my regular job where I am in a uniform working in close contact with one and other. So a good pullup is a must for me. My incontinence has always been and remains on the lighter side, mostly consisting of leakage after using the bathroom. It would be considered a lot more than just dribbling but again, not very heavy. I find that the Abena Abriflex M3 works wonderfully for me, it is discreet and will contain a full accident should it happen when I can't get to the bathroom on time, though that is extremely rare.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:59 pm 

If you're dead set on using a pullup, you should give Northshore pullups a try.

In my experience their isn't a single pullup that comes close to working for my level of incontinence. Heck, not even those cloth-like disposables come close.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:09 pm 

thanks. i'll take a look. but i guess that means that no one uses or ever has used Rely.

and i wish you wouldn't put it like that - dead set - it makes it seem like i'm doing some kind of a bad thing. i'm balancing my temperament, and what i feel comfortable in and how much money i have available and if my choice will meet my needs for the degree of public i have to deal with and likelihood that what i choose to wear will or will not hold what it needs to hold. I've had good results so far after upgrading my original choices. i've tried some things i absolutely do not like because they are big, bulky, thick clumsy and noticeable on me which i do not like or want. if they make me feel uncomfortable, i won't wear them. if those are what you use and are good for you, i support you. so please don't make me feel as though i'm making a questionable choice. I'm really just asking about Rely and that is because they seem comparable to the best of what i've used so far and they are cheaper.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:32 pm 
Admin

Hi Gee. I too suffer from bowel troubles. I understand where your coming from. Dealing with any form of incontinence is tough, both mentally and physically. In the end, you have to do what works for you. Nobody should feel embarrassed by their disability. You have nothing to be ashamed of. I believe that most of us here with both types of incontinence wear some form of brief (diaper). If your not good with wearing such products and it bothers you then maybe that is not the path for you. You should feel comfortable in your own skin. I know most have gone through a trial and error phase until we found what works. I know I did. It doesn't hurt to try the Rely. I recommend just buying one package. See if they work out. I looked at them. They don't cost too much. The worst that happens is they don't work out. Just try them at home first before you venture into public. Do I think they will handle a complete loss of bowel control, absolutely not. But just for minor soiling they may work for you. Give it a shot. Let us know how they work out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:54 pm 

Yeah sorry I didn't mean it like that. I meant if you know pullups work for you, and you absolutely do not want to use tabbed style diapers (for what ever reason), then I've heard the northsore ones are supposed to be a pretty good deal for price and reliability.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:00 pm 

Thanks!