www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: exact fit
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:04 pm 

I often fasten one tape tighter than the other and have an uneven diaper fit. Sometimes I get it right and sometimes I have it really uneven and that is not very comfortable. Does any body have a trick to guessing how to fasten a diaper perfectly even all the time?

Post subject: Re: exact fit
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:54 am 

I make a mental note of where the tapes should be and get them close most of the time. I use two different diapers and they both fit differently so I sometimes get it wrong even after 40+ years. Although the early years were the washable AIO (All In One) types and they snapped on. Boy were they BAD compared to what we have today.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:24 am 
Admin

I guess it all depends on how you apply it, standing, sitting or laying down. I am a lay down to get it right user, and I make sure it is event when I pull it between the legs, and then hold it down with a forearm at the tummy, and fasten one side at a time, L then R, never seems to get too off-centered that way. The Tena's are good with the cloth backing, makes repositioning or bathroom stops (when you make it in time! :lol: ) much easier. Everyone is different, but before sticking the tape, be sure to give it a double look, some of them are not so forgiving to re-stick... Standing would be about the same way, sitting is just a pain! :cry: Puffy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:26 pm 

All I can say for this is practice makes perfect. When switching to a new brand I'll always go through a few weeks where things can be hit or miss, but once I'm used to the cut and fit of a particular product I can usually get it right most of the time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:12 am 

Hi Justin,
I can't add much to the good advice already posted. As PuddleGuy says, practice! Keep at it, the more you do it, the easier it will become. Fit is (or can be) a challenge with disposable diapers. I don't think any two brands fit me the same. But I know which ones do fit and I like to stay with them!

All I might suggest is making some guide marks on the front of the diaper with a magic marker.....that will give you a reference so you won't stick one tape way off and be "stuck" with an ill fitting diaper until change time.

Another "fit thing" is to try and tape the legs as leg cuffs...wrapping snugly around your thighs. The tape on the back of the diaper should be pointing down slightly as you tape it to the front of the diaper...low down... around your thigh. That puts the tape close to the lower edge of the diaper.....not pulled straight across the front and fastened on your belly. And do both legs first.

Then when you pull the first top tape around your waist, take the time to pull the diaper rear up as high as it will go....with the idea of getting the tape to land above your hip bone when you fasten it to the front of the diaper....go for a bit of an upward angle here if you can. Do not pull too tight with the first one. It's when you snug the back of the diaper up a second time, now wrap that wing of the diaper snugly over your side and again...go for getting the tape above the hip bone, as you now can pull snugly and fasten the second tape to the front of the diaper. That should give you a snug trim fit that will keep the diaper comfortable to wear, as it invariably gets wet and heavier as time goes on.

Some folks like to wear a support garment, such as any underpants with spandex or even compression shorts.

Good luck, your taping will only improve with time and repetition!

JoeK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:18 pm 

I also have to add, if you are having a lot of problems look for a diaper with tapes that are refastenable. The Secure/Bambino line is really good for this. You can peel and reapply those tapes several times with no problems. Also many of the cloth backed diapers have velcro tabs that can be refastened.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:49 pm 

You have to practice until you get the hang of it, as others have noted. I just want to add that you should also experiment with the direction of the tapes. I have to point the top tapes down to get a good fit but I noticed others wrote differently so it must depend on your body's shape & possibly the cut of the diaper.
I you find you did get a good fit you can measure the distance of the tapes from the sides, top & bottom and note the direction of the tapes to use for future reference.
You can cut a piece of cardboard to correspond to the side the diaper up until the place of the tapes, which should be marked off. This way you can easily prepare diapers in advance by putting the cardboard on them & marking off the tape spot. Since a good fit should be symmetrical you can use one piece which is flipped over for the other side. You need a separate one for each brand or size.
You can take off the dry diaper as soon as you got a good fit to take measure, but make sure you retaped it exactly the same way afterwards to test the fit. What feels like a good fit when first put on might turn out not to have been so good during use.