www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:40 pm 

OK, I have always though the terry nappies were the source of some horrid smells in the mornings but I was able to show it was the old vinyl pants and not the terries that were responsible. Anyone any ideas how to get the smell out?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:28 pm 
Admin

I am not a big fan of the vinyl as they don't stand up to the wear and tear that gets put on them, just personal experience. I would guess that stripping them in very HOT water, like you do for cloth diapers, would be the way to go, along with a detergent such as Borax or such. Even a genle cycle in the wash sould do them a big improvement in the lingering odor issue, I do this with the cover pants from Gabby's and Kin's, and they don't hold any odor, :) although they are not the vinly that I had tearing problems with. It may be time to retire them if they still have the smell to them? :shock: Puffy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:57 pm 

I thought of that but I don't think they would stand very hot.

As they are oldish, I use sheaths (external catheters) most of the time, I wonder are Polyurethane Pants any better than vinyl? many of the ones available in North America are hard to come by / seriously expensive here in the UK but these are a reasonable price from a UK retailer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:29 pm 
Admin

Hey Wheels, another route you could try is using vinegar & hot water to get the odor eliminated. As far as the PUL pants, I have not tried them as of yet, the shipping from the U.S. to Canada is high as well, but from what others say, they are terrific. Adult Cloth Diaper has them... http://www.adultclothdiaper.com/PRODUCT ... -PUL-Pants :)
Puffy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:49 pm 

Wheels5894: it has been a long time since I have used plastic pants but some vinyl will get an odor and there is nothing you can do. There are a couple of things you can try one being soak them in borax or something like it you can also hang them out in the sun but that will also harden the vinyl.
From my experience with Polyurethane they will also get odors and they are expensive but the seam last almost forever.

I know things are expensive in the UK I have a brother who lives outside of London.

2lyle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:42 pm 

I've used the vinegar idea before it seemed to work :wink: Another thing to try (Sandy's way of washing) is take a shower with your plastic,vinyl and or rubber pants in the bottom of the tub. Just kick them around while you shower. If you wash your hair with pert shampoo better yet :wink: Be sure to rinse them out just before you shut the water off hang them in the shower and let them drip dry. They will last alot longer this way then being washed in the washing machine/dryer My two cents :mrgreen: .....................Sandy :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:12 pm 

What I normally do is just rinsh each pair as I shower each morning. But sooner or later the elastic that absorbs's the urine needs to get out. That's when I'll throw the plastic pants in a mesh bag and wash them with my cloth diapers. I'll put them in the dryer for just 5 minutes and then let them finish air drying. I usually end up retiring a pair only after I get rips in the elastic openings. A pair will usually last at least a year. ...Paul Martin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:30 pm 

I wipe my plastic pants out between changes and wash them with my diapers every time I do a load. I wash diapers on hot with a double cold rinse. I throw them in the dryer for 5 minutes or so then let them air dry the rest of the way. I've never noticed much of a problem with plastic pants developing an odor. I replace my plastic pants as they begin to tear and get stiff. I probably replace around 6 pairs every year so they don't stay around long enough to develop much, if any, odor. I have a pair of the PUL pants that I wear while sleeping. They are too-noisy for me to wear while at work or out in public. The polyurethane laminate is soft and very tough but just very noisy. They wash up great. I would stay away from stripping the vinyl pants in very hot or boiling water like you would a diaper as the vinyl will melt if you get them too-hot. That is why I don't leave them in the dryer for more than 5 minutes.