www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:32 pm 
I had a radical prostatectomy on November 28th and am recovering well. I am seeing the surgeon next Monday and hope to have the Foley removed. I am trying to get a better understanding of what to expect for urinary leakage and how to best manage it. The surgeon told me to expect some minor leakage for a couple of weeks while a nurse from his office my wife spoke to today (she called to check on my recovery status) indicated that it was likely to be much worse. She suggested that my wife buy protective underwear for day use and overnight briefs (diapers?) for sleeping along with chux to protect the bed.

Anyone out there have any knowledge or experience with this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:10 am 

Hi Larry,
I'm a little surprised that no one has responded in over a week and a half but please remember this is a very busy time for everyone and folks who might check into the forum several times a week may be unable to do so.

I cannot offer any direct experience. Tho I am well into the age group with a higher percentage of benign prostrate enlargement, I've been lucky. For all our male readers let me remind them to get the PSA test every physical and to request the Dr to perform the digital exam to actually feel the prostrate gland to assess it's size.

Larry, your radical prostatectomy carries the risks of impotence and incontinence as you know, since the medical professionals would have brought that up. When I talked with my Dr about prostate cancer and the surgical removal option, I said how the incon was not an issue since I was living with that all my life but the impotence was an issue. He told me the incon and impotence issues are usually "downplayed" since the radical prostatectomy is usually a life saving or life prolonging measure and in the doctor's order of priorities, saving your life or improving your health comes ahead of "side effects". So while they tell us about the side effects, they usually don't shout it from the roof tops and expect you will just have to put up with diapers or ED and take consolation in the fact you are still alive.

He went on to say the surgury is very tricky with the nerve endings in that area, the nerve endings that provide continence and erectile function. He says they never know going in just how bad or good the outcome is going to be with regard to the side effects, but rely on telling you how there is constant improvement in technique and outcomes.

I know none of this is of any real help in answering your question and I really do hope that men who've had the surgury will take the time to write a reply about their particular experience.

Post subject: Mattress protection
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:17 am 

Larry,
As a separate issue, since there is likely to be urinary leakage, please take the precaution to protect your mattress. The "chux" are about useless, IMO, and wetting a mattress is "fatal" for the mattress, again IMO, since I don't believe there is any effective means to get urine odor out of a mattress.

Your mattress is probably a big investment and unless it is old and you are due to replace it anyway, check out our Primer Chapter on that subject, and take the necessary steps; I am thinking you will be glad you did!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:24 pm 

I went for my 6 month checkup with my Urologist. He always checks my PSA level. He was stern faced when he came in. He said my PSA was 1.2 in July and now it is 7.8.
He did the DRE and kept his finger in there longer than normal. He found a hard lump. So I am having a biopsy done the 28 of November and go from there. The Hospital ,I go to has the DaVinci Robotic operation machine. So I am planning on having the prostate out. But they won't have to cut my backside open!!