www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:30 am 

in my opinion even the ones that claim to breath still get hot. For me I've not noticed much differance. But anyway the point I was making was not about if the brief will breath. It was the fact that "cloth like" material can be abrasive in the summer between your legs. I think as a person sweats your skin tends to become softer and the rub on the inside of the legs intesifies with the cloth like material. Where as with the smooth plastic you don't get that kind of friction. Maybe I'm the only one that has an issue like this :?: .............................Sandy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:10 pm 

Sandy- I understand what you are saying now. I can see how the plastic ones would be less likely to chafe. The chafing is something I had never even considered as being a problem, I was only thinking heat buildup and rashes. Summer is going to interesting.

Anyway thank you all for taking the time to respond.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:11 pm 
Admin

In a couple weeks, I will be going to Florida to see Harry Potter's ride and also visit the Florida Keys. Im taking the plastic back type diapers with me. Im hoping it wont be too hot down there but I do know that there will NOT be any 6" thick of ice and snow on the ground like here. At least I hope not hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:11 pm 

6 inches you got it good :!: We got at least two feet out in the yard just judging by how much the bird bath is sticking out :? ..............Sandy :)

Post subject: To Use Meds or Not
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:27 pm 

I've been dealing with bladder issues since childhood. It has only been within the last five years that I learned the cause was Cauda Equina Syndrome (CES). I began experimenting with the early adult diapers back in the mid-80's (first generation Depends and Attends) and because they were pretty weak tried some of the meds available (Ditropan and Detrol I think). The meds weren't that effective and I hated the side effects so I made the decision to manage my incontinence primarily with diapers. My wife is very supportive and agrees that unless diapers are simply not an option (i.e. when I'm backpacking), I'll never use the meds. I'm not convinced that we have any idea what the long-term effects of chronic med usage are, and I've seen what can happen to a person's body after years of use.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:10 am 

schoppy wrote:
In a couple weeks, I will be going to Florida to see Harry Potter's ride and also visit the Florida Keys. Im taking the plastic back type diapers with me. Im hoping it wont be too hot down there but I do know that there will NOT be any 6" thick of ice and snow on the ground like here. At least I hope not hehe

it didn't matter what you wore, as soon as you stepped outside you were a blob of sweat!!

I wore my usual, plastic backed diaper, plastic pants and shorts. Wouldn't have mattered if I'd ahve had nothing on. The humidity was terrible at Disney World!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:16 am 

campingFool wrote:
My reluctance to try incontinence medications stems from this experience. To go through another round of medication roulette, suffer through the side effects to come to the possible conclusion that I may still need to wear protection anyway does not make me in a hurry to try it. The fact that my wife brought it up is making me second guess this. She is fine with the diapers, just brought up the medications. Am I being a fool for not going back to the urologist and starting the process of medication? I am handling wearing diapers just fine, but I am only 40 years old, surely I can't be managing it this way forever? I apologize for rambling, just looking for other opinions on my situation. Thank you for your time.

Been there done that, decided to skip the meds and just wear diapers. The side effects just weren't worth the bother since I still had to self cath. The meds paralyzed the bladder which mostly cured the leaks but the side effects were worse. But I've got to admit that the diapers nowadays are much better than they were 40 years ago!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:03 pm 
Admin

I tried the meds. 6 of them actually. I was put on DDAVP for bedwetting. That didn't work. For the urge incon, I was put on Detrol, Vesicare, Enablex, Gellnique, and Imipramine. They all caused dry mouth, dry eyes, decreased sweating, oh and terrible constipation!!! I got internal hemmorhoids because of it. It was extremely painful to have a bowel movement. Like...it brought me to tears to go. And I consider myself to have a high pain tolerance. Needless to say, I gave up and have been wearing diapers for a couple years now. I refuse to live like that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:32 pm 

I have been on most of the meds my Urologist put me on. They all gave me a dry mouth and I would drink more to offset the effects of the meds. So the meds were a waste of time!