www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Catheter help!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:19 pm 

Hi i'm going to ask my quack if i can try out some of these new bio caths etc that have anti infection coatings etc.But not with a bag as could never get on with those as always turn over many times in bed.but a flip flow valve that you just release when you need to go so one you keep bladder function unlike a bag.plus alot less infections as it flushes through when you release build up of urine.
As i have to go to a funeral soon and will have to wear trousers which inco wear would be awkward and have to spend long time outside in cold and with raynauds decease it makes me get KKKK'r cold so quick and we all know what cold makes you do?so will be making me want to pee prob alot and atleast with it will hold till can get to toilet there or a bottle type one sitting car etc?

As still waiting to see adviser! another 8 weeks they said?

But before anyone says about using a foley catheter! It's some thing else in you're armoury you can use ie as break from either self cathing or from diaper etc?
Plus you don't have to leave in you can as i'm going to use for the day etc then remove it.
Plus with advances they have made with coatings etc and materials they have moved on!
things like flip flow valve let you release when you need to so keep function of bladder and less chance of infections.

Plus i'm also working on a design that have just forwarded to a manufacturer for users of indwelling catheters so that they can sleep normalish ie if they use won't need to keep a bag connected or if using self release valve can replace with this so can just wear diaper instead and it will still drain as when it needs to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:58 pm 

I'm really not sure that the standard Foley catheter is going to help much, you k,now. The problem is infections and these will turn up whether you are using drainage bags or the valve. I had a supra-pubic catheter (inserted through the abdomen wall) and that worked fine for some years without infection but the ordinary urethral ones infect pretty quickly.

Have you thought of an external catheter (sheath in the UK ) with a leg drainage bag for the funeral? As long as you don't drain huge gushes out and the fill the bag in one go you ought to do fine and the combination is virtually undetectable under trousers. Have a look at the your countries Coloplast site where you can probably get samples too. It might not be a favoured solution but for some occasions it really works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:50 pm 
Admin

Hi Garry, that may well be your best option, the external catheter. I have tried most brands until I found what worked best for me. The Coloplast ones are very good (Optima), as well as the Mentor (I like the long seal one), which Coloplast bought out. The silicone are superior to the latex as well, and being clear helps monitor skin for any problems, although with proper use I never had any. Skin prep also helps with a better seal, it stays put for at least 24 hrs with no worry of a blow off. Hollister makes the best, most comfortable leg bags, and the 900cc large one I have is more then enough for 2 uses before emptying, although it does get a bit heavy to leave half full for too long. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, I would stay away from the internal foley and go the external route in a heartbeat! :D Puffy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:08 pm 

Hi yes had a long chat with nice lady from bard about it.but main problem with external one is that with Raynauds you get very cold quickly so you're extremites get very cold ie shrink and don't want to play etc which also make it hard to pee properly aswell or in a controlable manner?And we all know what the cold makes us do?.
So she said that it wouldn't be realy suitable.
Ive got a full silicone one to use well bought it myself to try first to see if works etc? well don't want any mishaps do we?
I'm not looking to leave in for months etc just as need ie say for the day so wouldn't think that would be a problem? plus if i did get an infection etc atleast i can get it treated instead of taking things like tablets that make me feel worse etc like vesicare?
I have been looking it up about using things etc pro's and con's!
So feel happy plus if it works ok will give some feed back etc
And yes thank you for invite for help/info.much appreicated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:11 pm 

Maybe it's me, but I don't like the use, or want to have anything to do with a cath. unless I have to. I've had a bad infection from using a cath before, and the infection was serious. I know, many ppl use a cath everyday without problems, but besides having a bad experience, I'm very sensitive down there, so I don't even like go to the Urologist for testing unless I can't avoid it.

The last time I saw my Urologist was at the end of last Oct. for several tests. I got it on both ends,....but I am bowel, and bladder incon too so maybe that had something to do with having the hose in me on both ends. After all the tests, the Urologist planted a seed by suggesting that I consider some other type of collecting device beside the diaper. I knew what he meant, but I don't see a need for that as long as I able to mange my incon with diapers. If I was bedridden, or something of that nature then I might feel different about it., but I'm mobile and get around pretty good. I'm considered an "incomplete paraplegic", but to lok at me you would never know. Anyway, maybe I need to become more educiated about using a cath, but I just don't see why I would want to do that for all the obvious reasons.....it just seems like ther is more risk, with so little reward especially when I can manage so well using diapers. Just my thoughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:02 am 

Hi yes i understand.Mind you they have moved on with them now with anti bacteria coatings etc? plus reading a RCN forum that does say that you don't need to clean it too much just wash etc.
My thoughts are with alot of cleaning /washing etc that its done to through etc and takes away natural defences to things as it did mention that aswell.
Because if you take our bacteria etc away with cleaning you replace it with foriegn bacteria/germs that you don't have defence against so much.
but if you read above i'm not looking to leave in for long term just even maybe for the day etc then remove when get home.
plus if it helps i'm all for it as still havent got to see advisors yet so don't have much inco wear esp thats dry.as i'm finding i also go without actually knowing aswell well till it's out?.
I just look on them as something else to help 9another string in you're bow?)and not an end all so to speak?
But does i guess on you're immune system i guess on how well you cope with things?
But if you like i'l let you know how i get on with it if you would like?