www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:50 pm 

Puffy,

I've also encountered urologists who can't seem to understand why I would choose to wear a diaper instead using an external catheter (sheath). In my case, the adhesive used to attach the external catheter produces a nasty skin reaction after a day or two, and I had an incredibly embarrassing incident with an external catheter when I bumped a partially filled leg against a table and it burst when I was in a very public situation. So I much prefer a diaper which, even in a worst case scenario leak situation, doesn't produce the same kind of mess as a ruptured leg bag. However, several urologists that I've dealt with just don't seem to get it. I think that the idea of a seemingly normal man wearing a diaper horrifies some urologists emotionally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:08 pm 

adhb wrote:
Puffy,

I've also encountered urologists who can't seem to understand why I would choose to wear a diaper instead using an external catheter (sheath). In my case, the adhesive used to attach the external catheter produces a nasty skin reaction after a day or two, and I had an incredibly embarrassing incident with an external catheter when I bumped a partially filled leg against a table and it burst when I was in a very public situation. So I much prefer a diaper which, even in a worst case scenario leak situation, doesn't produce the same kind of mess as a ruptured leg bag. However, several urologists that I've dealt with just don't seem to get it. I think that the idea of a seemingly normal man wearing a diaper horrifies some urologists emotionally.

I thought it was only in the UK that the medical profession didn't understand diaper use! Oh, well, it must all over the world.

That said, I have never had a bag burst - ever - in 27 years! However leaks from slightly open taps into my sock and shoe have been quite common. Apart from the mentor sheaths which take the skin with the adhesive when the come off, I have not had any problem with adhesive. It is the glans that gets sore. I tend to use a nappy at night and try to manage in the day - by frequent visits to the loo. If I am away from home I wear a disposable nappy in the day and use a sheath at night. That way I don't get anything sore for long!

adhb - it really is worth have a look around at different sheaths as there are bound to be some that will work for you as well as some rather more substantial leg bags. Nappies my be fine most of the time but there is always a time when drinking is involved and loos not to easy to find when a drainage bag is just the thing. Try some samples from Coloplast (look up your country's version of their website) and get free samples of their Optima sheath and some leg bags to try. At no cost at all it is worth it for the odd occasion,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:43 pm 
Admin

Hi adhb, I used the external system for many years, as much of a pain as it is, there are times like Wheels said that it is by far the best option, travelling on holidays is it for me, and trips out of town for the entire day when diapering will just be too much hassle to deal with. I use a skin prep wipe for applying, and get a great seal that is good for at least a day, I do not use for more then 24 hrs, and apply a new cath. The silicone is by far the best for me, and never had any leg bag issues or problems, besides the rare valve not closed all the way situation, only had that happen twice, and all I got was a wet foot... better then wet pants by a mile! :lol: The Mentor Long Seal is really good too, and samples can be gotten from Coloplast, they sent me a good variety, but Hollister leg bags are the only ones I use, tried many others, and none compare. I used the Hollister caths for a while, but between the latex and the silicone, I had issues with both, so I had to look at the others on the market.

The Urologist I saw I knew before hand, and I am sure he was surprised when I arrived at his office, and he read the referral. He never got into how I deal with the urine loss, but I am sure he can figure it out. Wore a pull-up for that appt, and the telltale elastic marks across the top imprinted in the skin are kind of tough to hide, but he never batted an eye. Same went for his assistant, male, that did the Urodynamic flow test, he never remarked either. I agree that they don't understand what it is like to deal with this issue, and how simple and effective a diaper can be for urine loss, not the cleanest of odor free, but if you stay up on your hygiene and change within a couple hours of using it, there is not much of an odor until it sits a while. It works for me is all I can say, and that is that... what they think is their opinion, I am not asking if they think it is O.K. for someone of my age... :roll: Puffy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:02 pm 

adhb wrote:
Puffy,

That's a VERY good point. In my case after all the test and meds I finally told my Urologist that I was done...no more surgeries, test or trial medications. She simply said that when I was ready for more tests to let her know. She was not pushy at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:59 pm 
Admin

I'm seeing a urologist at the local naval hospital. I too have partial bowel as well as urine incontinence. So I know how you feel. Dr's can't find why I am having problems. They are hypothesizing that I leak because of my psychiatric medication. But no one knows for sure. I have to go through another round of urodynamics to find out if anything has changed since my last uro workup 2 yrs ago. The doctor offered an interstim placement and botox injections. I said no to both. I don't want surgery or anymore medications. I've tried enough thanks.