www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:55 am 

How do I cope with my incontinence? With a sense of humor! I wear the Abri-form extra plus diapers and occasionally vinyl pants over them. I have accepted the fact that I will never out grow my dependency for diapers. So with that said I say enjoy it because all the worry and depression and anxiety we face day by day doesn't help one i-o-ta.

My family and friends know I wear diapers and the inside joke is that I'm just not interested in potty training as of yet. My mom always said that a good sense of humor can get you through the toughest of times. So I say, lighten up everyone!

There is this big taboo about the ab/dl community that they're all a bunch of freaks. Yes, some of them wish they could trade places with us, but for the most part, they are quite understanding.

I say pick your favorite diaper, don a pair of colored vinyl pants and enjoy life as we know we can. Quit stressing whether anyone will notice our diapers and go forward and enjoy life. Or we can act real clinical about incontinence and the worry and stress and all of the negatives and stay locked up in our homes and never come out.

I wake up in a soaking wet diaper. I shower, put on a fresh diaper, get dressed, eat breakfast and go to work. I wear a premium diaper so I don't have to worry about leaks so much and I go about my day. I don't go around exposing my diapers to others but if they do happen to show, oh well, it's all part of life.

Am I making sense or am I all alone here? Look at the pluses, no unsanitary restrooms, nasty smells, or toilet seats. No frequent stops on a trip. No bad, frantic dashes to try and reach a toilet only to have the flood gates open before you get there. No long lines, none of the crap everyone else has to deal with being continent. I'll bet that there are tons of people out there that wish they had a diaper on once in a while as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:04 am 

Yes, you're making a lot of sense. Far too many people suffer needlessly from incontinence when simply accepting the need to wear a diaper and get on with life would make their lives so much more pleasurable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:15 am 

JRB,

For the most part, I agree with what you've said. I really don't think of being incontinent so much any more. I kinda have the feeling the most people who become incontinent go through an adjustment period and accepted it for what it is and move on with life. However, from some of the articles I've read some people have a very difficult time making that mental adjustment and just stay depressed and homebound because of there incontinence. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:00 am 

I also agree. But, i have trouble letting go and giving in. Part of me wants to try everything including this interstim just so i can say "Ok, ive tried everything, and im still incontinent."

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:50 pm 

I don't look at it as giving up. Perhaps just coping with incontinence in a more positive manner. Out of all the disabilities there are in this world I'll take wearing a diaper the rest of my life, hands down over anything else.

Wearing a diaper still let's me do everything the rest of the world does, just a bit more padded then them. i guess what I am trying to say is that there are real things in this life of ours to really stress over at times and I just don't think wearing diapers is a blip on the radar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:21 pm 

Hi JRB. I have come to the same conclusion for living life as you have. After agonizing and being fearful for a time I gave into wearing diapers 24/7.I also wear a premium diaper and plastic paints and have no fear anymore of leaks. As far as I feel about someone seeing my diaper, so what, I'am now living a less stressfull life.When it comes to changing when traveling I've delt with that as needed. Life is to short to allow someone else to control the way you live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:36 pm 

I suppose your right, its not giving up, its accepting reality. I'm still going through the grieving process of loss of control, which includes trying desparately to seek some treatment or SOMETHING. I was real stubborn to wear proper level of protection (ie brief) now im stubborn to just use it and not the bathroom.. even though ive been told thats what the medical community expects of those in my situation. But, i think i will reach a point where i accept it as it is. Where i will donate my hanes, and find a comfortable extended wear diaper, couple onsies, and a swim diaper, and just live my life without fear of using the restroom.

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:42 pm 

Well said DJ, well said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:25 pm 

There's a lot to be said about looking on the positive side of things. If you have to wear the diapers, might as well get some kind of enjoyment out of them.

Right on JRB!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:44 am 

I wouldn't go so far to say that I enjoy wearing diapers. I really don't care about it any more and I don't think about it that much any more either. How often do you think about wearing socks? That's about as much as I think about wearing a diaper unless I need to change. Anyone who is incontinent wears protection for need. To me, its no different than wearing other items of clothing. Do you enjoy wearing pants? How much do you think about that?