www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:32 am 

I got in my email an ad from Northshore for Mega Max..it was about how you could go 12 hours in a Megamax.. with the asterisk proviso that if you have a bowel movement in the diaper, you need to change immediately. Um, no. You would need to change a lot sooner than that. If I wore a diaper that long and had regular small episodes, I'm pretty sure I'd be sagging, and my skin would be quite uncofortable. Or is that just because I happen to void quite a bit when I have episodes, and have had concetrated urine in them? It just does not seem like a good idea to deliberately wear the same diaper for 12 hours. The padding would break down long before it reached capacity. The only time I would even consider wearing the same diaper for 12 hours is if I had nighttime incontinence and wanted uninterrupted sleep. Otherwise, I would want to change MUCH sooner.

What about the rest of you? Does 12 hours in 1 diaper seem unreasonable to you?

Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:05 am 

Basically at night, because you'd fill up where most of the capacity is, ie. the back. No time during the day.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:54 pm 

HumanFly

Same thing with me at Night during the day could never go 12 hrs!

Greenbank

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:28 pm 

Because I wear washables day and night, my protection can easily last twelve hours. However, my skin soon develops rash if I do not wash and change as often as necessary. I'll have cardiac surgery in the middle of June, and I have explained my incontinence to the surgeon and hospital staff. I doubt that I will be the first incontinent they have dealt with in their surgical unit. One concern I have is washing and changing my diaper with my chest taped up, my sternum stapled, and IVs everywhere. The temptation to extend the time between washing and changing is a concern.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:10 pm 

sociologygeek wrote:
What about the rest of you? Does 12 hours in 1 diaper seem unreasonable to you?

No, it does not sound reasonable.

Car pooling to a remote cabin, I've relied on a MegaMax for 8.5 hours simply because I didn't want to call attention to myself bringing changing supplies to the washroom stops.

Would I do a 12 hours trip that way? I don't think so.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:31 pm 

It's not realistic, even with a premium diaper such as MegaMax. The longest I've worn a diaper is about 8-9 hours. Either the diaper is saturated front-to-back by then (on days when I'm dealing with frequent and/or large accidents), or the padding is starting to separate and clump due to perspiration (on lighter days), or both. I like to change every 5-6 hours or so. I feel so much fresher and cleaner after a diaper change.

A MegaMax or ultra-high capacity diaper is extremely heavy when saturated. Snug-fitting diaper covers (such as the GaryWear Active Brief, which is cut to fit over disposable diapers) help hold up full diapers, but diaper bulge may still be an issue, depending on the brand and how much SAP is used in the absorbent layer. I was on a 5-hour flight a few years back, and my urge incontinence was at its worst, with frequent large accidents. By the time we landed, my diaper was completely full, and every square inch of the padding was wet. The GaryWear brief was keeping it up, so I wasn't fighting diaper sag. But, it was causing me to waddle a bit as I was walking off the plane and up the jet bridge. My first stop in the terminal was the nearest restroom, which, fortunately, was a single-user restroom. In the mirror, I noticed the diaper bulge, as my normally loose athletic shorts were now snug fitting. I could not believe how heavy that diaper was when I took it off and wrapped it in a plastic bag for the trash!