www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 2:19 pm 

When I started having incontinence issues over a year ago I was sometimes using a little plastic "male urinal" in the car when I would have an urge. My urge voids were usually 15oz (443ml) to a max of 20oz (591ml). That falls in line with the medical sites that say 400-600ml is average max bladder size. I took that to mean that my bladder was filling up but I just couldn't tell until it was full, at which point my bladder was saying enough is enough.

Over time since then I have noticed my maximum void size getting bigger (it has grown longer between urges too). I wanted to know how much bigger so I decided to figure it out. I no longer have the urinal so after a single large void I grabbed a postal scale. I set a fresh diaper on it and hit the tare button to zero it out. Then I removed the fresh diaper and put the used diaper on it. It measured a whopping 2lb 3oz. This is after only one void. I converted that dry weight to liquid ounces and it is about 34oz (1005ml) of water!!

Is this an insane amount? Am I missing something in my math? I feel like my bladder is stretching over time and increasing my urine capacity. Is this going to be a problem medically? Has this happened to anyone else? My voids aren't always that large but it's getting to where a single "BetterDry Day" diaper is overwhelmed sometimes after one void. I have found an upgraded diaper that works for me but what happens if this trend continues? I'm honestly a bit freaked out. Should I start doing timed voids instead of letting my bladder fill to "immediate evacuation" status in hopes that it will slowly shrink back down?

--Nick

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 3:36 pm 

If your bladder (detrusor) is becoming flaccid, your urologist needs to know, ASAP. When you have scheduled an exam, report back to let us know. Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 4:08 pm 

I googled flaccid bladder and I see mention of it losing muscle tone and needing to be emptied with a catheter. I don't think it is becoming flaccid. It voids quite forcefully when it finally decides to. It will also void just fine if I am sitting on the toilet or standing at a urinal. It is acting the same as when I saw a urologist last, but with larger capacity. Do you think this is still something I need to see a urologist for? My previous one is no longer in network for my insurance so I would have to find a new one. I'm sure I will need to find a new one anyway, eventually. But the idea of going through that process again is not pleasant for me.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 9:51 pm 

I trust Patrick's instincts that, from the medical perspective, it's at the very least a marked change, and they would probably want to know about it.

I also assume it's possible it could be benign, too. When I was in my 20s, several of my friends got very big bladders just by playing video games for long periods. I wasn't able to follow their example, obviously. But it definitely made an impression on me. As far as I knew, culturally, that was what you were supposed to do if you were male and American and growing up at the same time I did. My inability to do that was... I'm not sure if "devastating" is the right word, but it was definitely something I tried hard to do many times, and failed at many times.

I'm wondering what I would do if I were suddenly able to hold that much urine. I'm not sure if maybe I would consider skipping the diapers, and doing timed voids + penile clamp for emergencies. I guess when I think about "what if my bladder could hold 34 ounces" then my thought process is, ok, go to the bathroom at 17, and then I have a factor of 2 of safety margin. But that's just me. And it might not work out that way in practice, anyway.

I assume that "ok, now what, does this change anything for me?" can be part of the conversation with the urologist. And yes, please keep us posted.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 1:17 pm 

Ok. Thanks for the advice. I see your point about it being a marked change. It doesn't really matter if it's a slow change does it? I guess I'll go find a new urologist sooner rather than later.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 10:39 pm 

What is your liquid intake? Has that changed? I sometimes things I have polydypthia as I a
Always Thirsty, not diabetic. More liquid in will lead to more liquid out. Add oab and the surges are large.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 3:08 pm 

nomoore wrote:
Ok. Thanks for the advice. I see your point about it being a marked change. It doesn't really matter if it's a slow change does it? I guess I'll go find a new urologist sooner rather than later.

I always keep a bladder diary as this is my early warning system when something is going wrong and I can seek early intervention.