www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:07 pm 

So to those of you who swear by traditonal cloth.. not pocket, not aio.. I finally see what you've been raving about. To be honest I never really used traditional cloth all that often as a daily managment tool. It was more of curiosity exploration rather than practiced established use. Several reasons for that. One, my incontinence has never been so severe where I felt it warranted a heavy mulitple layer set up like ive seen advertised, and it seemed like doing that every day would mean never using the toilet.. and that was simply not attractive. Another concern was pinning and lack of stay dry liner. Bulk was also a concern but less so than those other concerns. But, now that I actually took the plunge and wore a traditonal cloth diaper to work, its like the veil has been lifted on a cost saving option that I never considered before. At work, as of now, I don't use the toilet except to have a bowel movement because I never get the sensation than I need to pee in time to do any thhing about it, and frequent restroom trips is not practical when you have a job that requires you to stay in one location and not leave unless relived. So, that takes care of the concern of lack of toilet accessibility. Skin dryness is easily remedied by powder and rash cream. Ive gotten used to the feeling of a wet cloth diaper, and to be honest, its not as bad as I once thought. Perhaps my skin has become less sensitive. Also, pretty much every time i used cloth in the past it was a sitting positon. I think youre more apt to notice the wet sensaiton when the diaper is drawn toward our skin in a sitting postion versus standing. Also keeping urine dilute by hydrating also reduces irritaiton. ANd the pinning issue is completly solved by using snappis.

On Sunday, I felt like I hit my stride. I think I could have worn my doulbled flat longer than I did because I realyl wasnt wetting all that much and was still comfortable. But, I didnnt want to push it because I was noticing an odor. But based on the comfort of my skin I coul have easily gone to next break without changing unless I deluged. Still working out all the kinks.. what fold to use, how to snappi without snagging on diaper.. but things are definetly coming together. I haven't had a leak yet, and have been comfortable. For the record, a single flat held one of my medium sized wettings with no problem, but on top of that it would have leaked if I had not been wearing PP after a simulated deluge. So, double diapering or boosting will defiently be the order of the day unless I can figure out a more absorbent way of folding that still leaves material to pin. I never know when floods will occur, and they are rare, but if I don't act as if they could happen at any moment I could be up poop creek without a paddle.
I have absolutely no regrets about making this jump into traditional cloth, other than less than spectacular results with muslin flats I bought.
I just invested in 3 contour diapers that should be able to be put on standing, which is awesome.. I have one fitted from Ecoable but the contour is half the cost of the fitted, with maybe the same level of absorbency if not more. Hard to know for sure.
Anyway, I have stopped investing in pockets and more expensive fitteds for now that I know what I know. The ecoable pockets are not exactly sized correctly, but I will still make them work. They just barely fit with all the snaps not snapped.. need to buy extenders. Good news is the fitteds fit like a dream :)

Words cannot express what I feel. I feel on top of the world, like I discovered buried treasure. Figuring out that I can use and invest in diapers that are half the cost of what I have used in the past but still very comfortable is like winning the lottery or finding gold in a pile of rocks. This couldnt come at a more opportune time.. I plan to marry within the next year if the annulment of my GF is granted and thus need to save money for housing and other related expenses. Id rather NOT have the recurring cost of 320 annully for work disposables. Yes, I guess I COULD wear tena ultra boosted to work, but I don't really want to. After a few wettings I know they would get lumpy and fall apart.

Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:21 pm 

Congratulations on your success so far. We need more tales of successful coping. And, best of luck on your upcoming wedding. If you have ready access to a good laundry facility, an inventory of washables can soon pay for itself.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:04 pm 

That makes me really want to try cloth now. My wife said I should get some in case disposables get hard to find. Plus I’m a side sleeper and would like to try them at nighttime.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:05 pm 

nomoore wrote:
That makes me really want to try cloth now. My wife said I should get some in case disposables get hard to find. Plus I’m a side sleeper and would like to try them at nighttime.

I am still learning how to apply flats, so if you go with Purity gauze flats, know that there is a learning curve, because they are not prefolds. THus, for overnight absorbency you might want to layer them. I had a situation where the diaper was saturated and dripping with the PP off after a medium wetting and a deluge.. so if you are a heavy wetter you may want to double or triple, depending on your fold. Hope this helps.

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II