www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:52 am 

Ok,

Here is where my head is at. More often than not, it seems that I overspend on my CC quite a bit. Every 3 months or so, I shell out between 80 and 100 for a case of premium type disposables. I just realized that I spend $320 a year on disposables if my current pattern holds. I don't know about the rest of you all, but I'd rather not spend that much. To that end, I am once again considering cloth. But not just cloth in general, since startup costs are usually a few hundred steep. Specifically, I am considering flat diapers. I explored the idea of using them in the past, but never figured out a fold I could get on my body with the square that I used to simulate without actually buying the diaper. Until now. I conceded that the folds that I saw online were all for babies and toddlers, and us adults need to stick to the folds for adults.

I have some questions about purity flat gauze from ADC. I am debating between wearing a single flat diaper and saving on bulk, or doubling the flat and having to up my pant size. Upping my pant size isn't that big a deal, since my parents would gladly foot the bill. If I wore the cloth diaper for 4 hours, and only had a few medium sized wettings, and not heavy continous flow, would the single flat be absorbent enough to not leak? if the answer is no, thats not a big deal. I just have to accept the fact my pants will be bigger. JD, what is your mileage with a single flat diaper without inserts and 4 layers in the flat?

Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:45 pm 

I have been using ACD flats for a couple of years. I initially got them when it looked like there might be some supply problems with disposables.

I have a 42 in waist and use the 44 in diapers in sort of an "angel fold"; that gives 3 layers in front. I fold the back side over to adjust the length and give added strength for pinning. I add cloth stuffers to increase the capacity where it is needed. I am now using the 2 layer ones as the 4 layer ones are way harder to pin. Yes, this reduces capacity but the stuffers make up for much of the loss. My leaks are almost all when I am vertical, not lying down, so that may enter into your decision also. In the morning when the diuretic I take is most active I may go through 4 changes, so 6 very wet changes per day is not unusual. Using 2 size up black pants made out of a heavier fabric and a long tail shirt, untucked, hides things for going out. Sometimes I will use a disposable for shopping, etc.

ACDs PUL pants are way more comfortable than plastic, even in hot weather. The taped leg openings is a real plus for comfort!

Quite a while back I posted about my washing procedure. I'm not sure if I mentioned giving the diapers and stuffers a thorough rinsing in cold water and wringing them out by hand as soon as I remove them; then putting them in the diaper pail.
Prefolds require way too much dryer time relative to flats.

I'll keep an eye on this topic if I am raising more questions for you than I am answering.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:12 am 

Hi stan!

Thanks for your reply. So, basically you change when wet with a single cloth flat that's folded. In terms of the 2 layer versus 4 layer being easier to pin, thats not going to be an issue for me because I specifically plan to NOT use pins. "But Rob! How will you fasten the flat wihtout pins?" I plan on using Boingos or a Snappi. The fact that you told me 4 layers makes it harder to pin gives me the impression that its thicker and less likely for the boingo to scratch the skin, so that actually works in my favor. I suffer from moderate to heavy incontinence but my wettings are not always continuous. Its the oddest thing. Sitting down I im dry all day, but I can almost bet money that every shift at work I will wet myself at least once standing up as a greeter in the vestibule. Rarely my flow is quite heavy. I am highly considering taking the plunge and ordering a few flats with boingos and PP and seeing exactly how much diapering I need. If I need to double diaper, thats not an issue. I just bougth pants that are at least 2 sizes up from what I usually wear deliberately for this very purpose. If it fails, I have pants that I can still wear with a belt and suspenders. As for wetness, I will probably just liberally use diaper rash cream 2 layers of it, plus powder. I am also considering fitted and pockets combined from Ecoable
So with the flow I described with only a few wettings, would one flat do for 2 hours before being changed? Or would I need to double?

Peace out!
Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:20 am 

Rob, The "night" weight from ACD is really 2 of their "day" weight sewn together. I have had some tearing, separating the layers. I've also had some lint balls accumulate between the 2 layers, of course in the worst places for pinning.

I can't comment on Non-pin fasteners, never used them. I do strongly recommend PUL over plastic as you don't accumulate sweat inside PUL pants.

One ACD day weight flat might not have the capacity you need without some help from "stuffers". Baby diapers and "flour sack" towels work well. They add thickness where needed and don't contribute to rear end bulge. I have never used cream or developed a rash; maybe I have really tough skin. Make sure the cream washes out really well as if it doesn't the cloth may begin to shed water rather than absorb it. That is why fabric softener is a major "no-no". Water hardness where you live mus be considered for successful washing.
Best of luck. Stan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:17 am 

Although I second all of the advice above, let me add some items.

First, I used to lubricate my pins by inserting them into a bar of soap. However, by keeping them sharp by using a wetstone, they insert better and do not abrade the fabric. Second, accumulating enough inventory to work for you may take time, and, initially, lots of cash. Cloth diapers last so long that purchasing them just a few at a time should not be a problem.