www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:59 am 

I have conducted multiple field tests of products for bowel incontinence, most recently Medline extended wear. After several instances of reliable use and containment at work.. I officially endorse them for infrequent solid moderate to large load type fecal incontinence. With a pair of plastic pants, these have been fairly reliable for containment, even after sitting down to drive home. I recall only one fail for containment and that was probably due to the BM being very large and almost liquid consistency. If you have normal sized bowel movements that are solid but just lack sphincter control, for example, these should do fine for containment against most voids.

I think that it is important to get an accurate picture of how a product performs for solid waste as it is absorption, for one cannot take for granted that all incontinence product perform equally well containing bowel movements. So far, Better Dry holds the crown in terms of fecal protection, but Medline is definitely also in the running. The Medline Extended wear is also in the running.

Is there any product out there that folks with FI are curious to see how it performs in public? Let me know and Ill gladly do field tests. It's not exactly easy to test fecal capacity of any diaper without actually soiling it yourself. Don't worry about me.. I work in a vestibule that already has various odors so they would easily mask it, at least long enough for me to make a getaway and change.

JD or Patrick, if you wanted to collaborate on coming up with a testing criteria and a less messy way to test, I'd be happy to do so. Is there any
material that is close to the consistency of stool but is not filled with bacteria and the less than pleasant odor?
Peace out!

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:22 am 

Most excellent! This is really useful information (with emphasis on the word "useful." Thanks sociology geek.

My own testing is "field testing." I have no need for fecal simulants. As my bowel program includes prescribed laxatives, I have ample opportunity for real world fecal testing of any diaper.

Of course, my preference is for diapers with very tall internal standing leak guards. Any diaper with leak guards 1.5" tall usually will perform quite well. Those with leak guards shorter than .75" may be serviceable but usually are to be avoided.

However, I have been pleased with how well many diapers with shorter leak guards perform. For those diapers, I think the factor that improves fecal containment is a very wide crotch width so that there is more space for containment before stool pushes against the leak guards.

My current preferred daily diapers are BetterDry and Megamax. Next down on the list is the NorthShore Supreme. The breathable version of the Supreme has the same leak guards but of course will transmit fecal odor much more.

My "in between" diaper for briefer periods when I don't want to put on a premium diaper is NorthShore Supreme Lite. This is a good example of the wider crotch helping fecal containment.

For "cheap" diapers, I have found that the fit and the ability to adjust the tapes for snug fits at the thighs and waist are significant factors.

Of course, I always wear "plastic" pants. I think rubber pants generally transmit less fecal odor than other materials.

I should note that my laxatives and stool softeners are adjusted to keep stool between Bristol 3 and Bristol 4. However, semi-liquid stool does occur.

Good Lord, the things we talk about in this forum! :oops:

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:46 am 

Indeed, such subject matter! I rarely use disposables. In the past, I only used them for travel and vacations, maybe once or twice each year. Fuel prices have eliminated that. When I used disposables, I used ConfiDry 24/7. Washables make fecal containment more of a laundry issue than a medical issue. I use an internal deodorant, keep an eagle eye on my diet and GI medications, and hope for the best. Good luck discovering what disposables work best, now that objective testing is no longer available to us.