www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:43 am 

From what I've read here, most if not all folks here, clean up after themselves, not wishing to burden their spouses with "disposal" etc.

So have you ever left your wet diaper out somewhere with the intention of disposing of it and forgot about it? This morning I left mine wrapped up on the steps along with my plastic pants, meaning to take care of it later. But I was rushing this morning and forgot. How embarrassing! It turned out that I forgot my reading glasses and had to come home from work anyway, so was able to recover. But it's not the kind of thing I wanted to leave hanging around the house.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:55 pm 

Yeah…, more often that I’d like to admit, but nearly always with disposables. With cloth, which I wear most of the time, there’s always a need to roll it up and put it generally in my sink until I make my way to the laundry room (in the other side of the house from the master bedroom). I have a can of Lysol on the vanity that I spray lightly in the sink when I remove the diapers. I roll it in such a way that the corners that are pinned are outside and used as a “dry zone” for picking up. When I get ready to put them in the washer, I unroll and separate in the air and individually kind of “whip” them into the front load washer opening…. It’s become an art and I avoid touching anything damp.
Every so often, I get distracted and leave them in the sink roll up, when my husband will move to the washer if I don’t make it back in there. After a few hours of sitting around, they will begin to develop an ammonia odor, but until then, they are mostly odorless and not “nasty” at all. I just hate for him to pick up after me, as I’m not crazy about picking up his underwater either…
When I wear a disposable, I’ll roll it up and use the tapes to secure it snuggly. Once in awhile it will stay in the sink too for awhile, but it’s nearly never nasty hours later, so I don’t feel real badly about it. They get bagged in a grocery bag and tied up before being placed in the kitchen trash.
All oh this is quite routine and pretty brainless. It’s just completely normal for me and my husband.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:43 am 

I have not left a disposable diaper, but often I forget dispose of the strip that peels off of a booster pad. Or I may leave out a jar of Desitin, etc.

That being said, it is not all that embarrassing for me. I am not embarrassed for being incontinent per se, but diapers, etc. are very personal and I would not leave out my dirty underwear if I were not incontinent. :oops:

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:30 pm 

Quote:
They get bagged in a grocery bag and tied up before being placed in the kitchen trash.
My wife has told me that it is ok to put them into the kitchen trash but I don't like doing that. It's like having underwear on display, even if it is in a grocery bag. When a grandchild's diaper is put into the kitchen trash, for me, it becomes the first order of business to move it to the outside trash. We have enough problems with cat litter in the basement smelling up the place. But as winter arrives, I know there will be days where the grocery bagged diaper is just thrown outside the back door -- until yours truly takes care of it later. I am so not looking forward to the related snow removal.. I don't mind admitting that I am a "reluctant Canadian". :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:52 pm 

Same with my wife, so I also throw them out the side door to freeze like a rock, and deal with it when I go out for therapy or what ever. I just have to be careful because if it lands in the drive and then gets covered with snow it can really damage the snow blower if I forget or don't see it. (I call it my motorized walker , just happens to throw snow too :) .

Paul Henry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:04 pm 

That truly would be embarrassing to explain! "I broke the snowblower on my diaper" :lol: