www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:36 am 

I think I made a post about giving up my cloth diapers and going back to disposables, or maybe I mentioned it in passing. Just so those wondering how I am doing know, I have indeed given up using cloth diapers. I do not own any, with the exception of the high backed plastic pants I bought of adultcloth diaper.com. I tried selling it and my diaper pails but no one was interested. Don't get me wrong, I loved cloth diapers. I loved the reusability and the fact I was preventing lots of disposables from goin into the landfill. But, the truth of hte matter is for all the perks cloth diapering has, one glaring disadvatnage you have is that unless you use traditional pin on diapers (which I don't and won't), if you happen to gain weight, the largest diaper will eventually stop fitting because the pocket diaper market is not as forgiving for larger sized adults. I loved the fact that pocket diapers had the reusability and the convinence of going on like a disposable. I LOVED it. THe only way I could ever be talked into cloth was if I had pocket diapers. And it was wonderful! Until... I gained weight. Yes, it is due to my lifestyle, but not only that. I was also on antidepressants for a time and those can cause weight gain. Before I knew it, alll my medium sized pocket diapers no longer fit, and was forced to buy large size cloth idapers, and eventually those too stopped fitting as well. This coupled with the fact that I now work at Meijer, and slacks are part of the uniform, and bulkier cloth diapers don't really mesh well with slacks as well as they do with jeans, I by default have been all but forced to use disposables. One thing that strikes me about disposables vs cloth is a cloth diaper is hand made for one user in mind. It is to be reused multiple times, just like a pair of regular underwear. But a disposable is made to be used once and tossed out. All disposables look the same in a package, there is no customization. I mean, I had one pocket diaper that had clouds on it. Another had submarines. Disposables don't have that. They are sterile, garden variety diapers with no personality. Yes, printed adult diapers do exist, but they aren't really cost effective and tehres no pont to being attached to something that will verty soon end up in the trash. you take a diaper out of the package and put it on, its not yours as in the sense of you wearing and using it over and over again. You use it once and throw it away. It feels impersonal if that makes any sense.

On a completly different subject, I noticed that with cloth backed diapers, the diaeper tends to somehow loosen so the diaper is no longer in place but hanging off my butt. Does anyone ever notice that? I never notice that with plastick back disposables. The adhesive tabs stick and stay in place, and the material hugs my figure, but it seems like the cloth back doesn't hug my figure or stay in place as well. But, I have little choiice now days but to wear breathable cloth backed products, because it is really hot and humid in Northern MI right now, and I have been absolutely misearble downtstairs wearing a disposable. I got all sweaty and sticky. So, I bit the bullet and ordered some Seni. To counteract the for lack of a better word drooping that I noted, I have been wearing my spartan overpants that I get from Medicaid over my Seni. it works well to keep everything in place. :)

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:19 pm 

Quote:
Just so those wondering how I am doing know, I have indeed given up using cloth diapers.

I'ts been a while since we heard from you so I'm glad to hear that you're still doing ok apart from your shared problems. I can't add anything to the cloth discussion..
Quote:
All disposables look the same in a package, there is no customization. ... They are sterile, garden variety diapers with no personality.

Very true. But even when I was young, I never felt the need to have patterns on my underwear. My daughters gift me with T-shirts with "Pink Floyd" or some other band (in my era) on it. But personally, I'd just prefer a plain T-shirt, rather than be a walking billboard. Around home, the last thing I want is people reading my pull-ups. Lately I've returned to wearing PJ bottoms so that my wife & son don't have to see husband/father wearing a diaper. Because of the diabetes, I sweat like a pig at night (due nerve damage) so this took a little getting used to. I'm not saying patterns/prints are wrong-- only that I never felt the need for it. I do like the idea of reuse and hate waste.

I hope you manage control of your weight gain. That can obviously be a problem for health generally among other things, including diabetes. Recently I keep running across butter tarts -- real heroine for diabetes sufferers! Man, those were the days when I could eat them..

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:51 pm 

Welcome back. If disposables work for you, wonderful. As for prints on diapers and waterproof pants, who cares? Nobody will see them under my clothes; the manufacturers put five cents of ink on them, then charge an extra $5.00, so I'll stick with ecru or white and go about my day. again, I welcome your input and advice.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:57 pm 

Patrick wrote:
Welcome back. If disposables work for you, wonderful. As for prints on diapers and waterproof pants, who cares? Nobody will see them under my clothes; the manufacturers put five cents of ink on them, then charge an extra $5.00, so I'll stick with ecru or white and go about my day. again, I welcome your input and advice.

You are missing my point. I actually liked that my pocket diapers came in different desings. I was lamenting the fact that disposables are plain and sterile with no personality.

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:34 pm 

sociologygeek wrote:
...I noticed that with cloth backed diapers, the diaeper tends to somehow loosen so the diaper is no longer in place but hanging off my butt. Does anyone ever notice that? I never notice that with plastick back disposables. ...

Sadly, this is an issue with the cloth-backed. The velcro-like tabs that adhere to the front panel tend to micro-tear the front cloth panel; basically, they loose their grip. So they will slip away after some strain and time. Moreover, more activity, sweating and high humidity all tend to worsen the matter. Having just returned from a high-humid country where only cloth backed Abena's were available, I too suffered this loosening. The way I made it a bit more tolerable was to use a onesie to hold everything in place. And even though it was a micro-fiber onesie, having to wear an extra layer of clothing in high humidity was not fun. But at least things stayed where they needed to stay.