www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gym Dilemma
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:58 am 

Hi team, I wonder if anyone has a perspective on this. I have to wear pullup underwear in the gym, and recently I've noticed that even with the underwear on, when I'm working out I find myself concentrating on trying not to wet while I do my workout - so e.g. when I'm doing squats I'm really trying hard not to pee - it doesn't always work but I'm wearing protection so no major issue. I'm now at the stage where I think my concentrating on not wetting is getting in the way of my physique development - its holding me back from lifting heavier stuff. So my question is, do I concentrate less on my leaks and more on my form with the result that I'll be much wetter by the end of my workout or should I continue to give some focus to my bladder as well? If I go for the former, am I going to need better protection? (nappy/diaper)? I hope one of you might share this dilemma/experience and help me shine a light on what i should do next. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Gym Dilemma
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:47 am 

I would suggest that you try better protection at home; if it works, begin wearing it to the gym. Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:06 am 

I think there is not necessarily a dilemma, but depends on the type of incontinence and the prognosis. A "real" stress incontinence is rather rare in men - and if then associated with a prostate removal. Depending on how well the sphincter muscle is preserved, you may be able to do something with pelvic floor training.

So the question is first: Would pelvic floor training help in your case? If this is the case, it makes absolute sense to concentrate on the pelvic floor when doing squats, for example, and to tense it - this is also a muscle that needs to be trained.

However, if the sphincter is so defective that it no longer closes properly, even with muscle strength, I would also think about surgery in addition to better protection. You can improve something like this by injecting the sphincter muscle or with an inserted band.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:40 pm 

I have to wear tape-on diapers/nappies even worse. Don't do gym with COVID.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:45 pm 

I’m also trying to come back to the gym, after this COVID hell. Tape on products have not worked for me, not that they do not hold what they should. But the chafing is killing me. I’m running in an effort to quickly lose weight…so I tried pull ups, they didn’t work either, bad leakes…
I’m looking into the threaded armor products, they look comfortable, but I’m unsure of just how bulky they are, and how good they hold up, and they are not cheap, especially when having them shipped to Europe, which adds 25% VAT on top.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:44 am 

Hi All

I wear a breathable fabric backed diaper a plastic backed diaper is so uncomfortable and sweaty.

Clothing I normally wear a skort the Lycra shorts stop chafing and hold the diaper in place and the skirt part is great for modesty as stops people seeing the diaper.

Shaving the diaper area is also a must!

Greenbank

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:39 pm 

Have you tried voiding last thing before a stressful physical workout? That plus a high quality pullup might work. Good luck; I'm sure this is an especially relevant topic for folks here.