www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:07 pm 

...Is a bowel blow out in public :( :( :oops: :oops: :oops:

So.. I deal with bladder incontinence on a fairly regular basis. On a (Thank God!) much lesser basis, say 4 times a year or so (if that) I have episodes of bowel incontinnence where my rectum is full of fecal matter and I don't have time to get to the restroom, and by delaying going, I pretty much ensure it ends up in my pants. I have seen the doctor about that issue, and it seems as if it arises when I'm really constipated. So.. I have a nice pizza dinner out side with my mom and dad, and then I decide to go on a bike ride. On the way to the halfway point I planned, I get the urge to poop. I think, oh no big deal, I can hold it until I get back. But then as I reach the halfway point i discover that riding my bike tends to want to aggravate the muscles holding in the...shall we say.. waste.. and my intestines are full of gas. And then I start to feel fecal mater worki its way into my rectum. At this pont I know, I'm pretty much beyond the point of no return. Whether it happens here or just as I'm walking into my hose, it makes no diference. I'm not going to make it to the bathroom. So, I figured I would let it go so my intestines were comfortable and Id clean up and change as soon as I get home. Only problem is.. it was more liquid than solid.. and I'm at least a mile from my house. If I get on the bike, I worry that the diaper may not contain the load. So, I walk the bike. Then at one point im like.. I'm tired of walking the bike lets just get on ride, and hope for the best. BIG MISTAKE.. Fecal matter ended up all over my right leg.. but thankfully none got on the floor of my parents house.. just on my socks and shoes and the inside of my pant leg. It was mortifying, but thankfully my parents didn't know until I told them I had to clean up.. and I told them I had to rinse my pants out. I just said, you don't want to know why my pants had to be rinsed out.

Note to self..be sure to evacuate bowels before riding bike after dinner, and make sure to wear brief with leak guards, just in case unable to emty bowels before ride.

This happen to anyone else? A blow out in public? Now, the blow out could have been prevented had I not gotten back on my bike.. but I got home an hour after I left. It would have been even longer had I not ridden on teh bike after the bowel release..

Peace out!
Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:27 pm 

I have had nothing as remotely as extreme as that. The only related story I have is that I decided to take advantage of a McDonald's coupon yesterday for an Egg McMuffin special with coffee -- it included a hash brown. I should not have eaten that hash brown! It seems to affect me like an enema and keeps working for most of the morning. At some points, I thought I was going to lose it on the way from my office to the washroom.

But a year ago, I did have an unhappy bowel release in my pants (prior to my incontinence). It was related to another hash brown I had eaten that morning, this time from Harvey's. The oils used in the cooking is something I have to avoid at all costs. Yesterday's hash brown was my thinking that the prior experience was maybe an isolated experience. Now I know better!

That prior accident I had at the office was a very lucky circumstance for me because the other coworkers were either in meetings or out to lunch. So nobody heard my diarrhea explosion. To drive home, I partially cleaned up as best I could in the washroom with paper towels. Then I stuffed more paper towels in my jeans in an effort to prevent soaking the truck seat on my way home (I now keep a garbage bag to sit on in the glove box). After showering, I returned to work as if nothing happened. It was quite demoralizing at the time. It was also a deciding factor in my deciding to wear a diaper 24/7 when I became incontinent.

Man, I feel for you. I also feel for the rest of you that must deal with this daily. I can handle wearing a diaper, even though sometimes I feel like a freak, but I pray that I am spared from that issue down the road.

So I hope for your sake, it was an isolated incident or one that you can manage.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:29 am 

it was thankfullly.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:08 am 

Years ago, when I was first diagnosed with gastroparesis, such bowel accidents happened several times each year. My management skills have improved since then; however, not enough to eliminate such events completely. I keep a close eye on my diet, and use an enema or suppository several hours before an extended outing with family or friends. In order to manage the occasional bowel release, I take an internal deodorant with every solid meal, and wear heavy diapers that are adequate to the task if necessary. Good luck on learning to manage your situation. Keep us informed; incontinence has much to teach us.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:05 am 

Sociologygeek,

Been there, done that.

I can so relate to your situation, having been there myself. :oops: It was one consideration that prompted me to use enemas to manage my fecal incontinence. After all, an empty colon cannot have a bowel accident.

I have neurogenic bowel from an old accident that required a pelvic reconstruction and left me with a lot of nerve damage and scar tissue. I lost most of my "early warning" ability to sense an impending bowel movement. So, when it hits me, it happens fast.

What impresses me is that you seem to have emotionally rebounded very quickly. Well done.

Accidents will happen. You, Wayne, and Patrick exemplify effective management of your incontinence. Handling the emotional side is just as important as managing the physical side.

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 5:14 pm 

I had an incident a couple months ago. I was pet sitting for my old dog walking boss. I had a salad the night before which apparently triggered a bowel incident. I woke up had intense urge to go to the bathroom, went to put on my leg (I'm an amputee) and I fell. I was crawling across the floor trying to get to the bathroom but to no avail. I was wearing boxer briefs and it went everywhere. I was too embarrassed to wear diapers while I was there but quickly went home and picked some up. it was never mentioned and I don't think he knew what happened so I must have cleaned up pretty well. but It was horrible. Thank goodness for hardwood floors.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:53 am 

justej wrote:
I had an incident a couple months ago. I was pet sitting for my old dog walking boss. I had a salad the night before which apparently triggered a bowel incident. I woke up had intense urge to go to the bathroom, went to put on my leg (I'm an amputee) and I fell. I was crawling across the floor trying to get to the bathroom but to no avail. I was wearing boxer briefs and it went everywhere. I was too embarrassed to wear diapers while I was there but quickly went home and picked some up. it was never mentioned and I don't think he knew what happened so I must have cleaned up pretty well. but It was horrible. Thank goodness for hardwood floors.

Skipping out on diapers because you are embarassed to wear them in front of certian people will only result in much MORE embarassment because you will have wet your pants. Trust me, no one notices you wearing a decent disposable if your pants are upped a size. Cloth on the other hand can bulge, and I'm sure i was bulging tonight but I dont really care..no one is going to ask me are you wearing a diaper? at most, theyd assume I gained weight in that area. Getting over being self conscious about protection is an important milestone for successful all around management. I wish you the best :)