www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:16 pm 

Well.. given that Cloth don't keep the skin dry.. i think disposables are the obvious choice. One concern i have though is my carbon foot print with the amount of disposables i use.. at minimum 3..and at max..6..sometimes more than that..ive never kept exact count. I hate the feeling of a wet diaper.. and try to change as soon as possible... but thats only when its really, really wet.. like a full bladder full.. rest of the time, when its only an average amount..it isnt so bad.. But the diapers i use don't hold a great deal.. maybe 2 wettings before threatining to leak.. i have boosters if i need them.. and i still have some control over urination.. but not a lot.. Since i get my diapers free from the state, using a lot isn't a problem. I can go up to as many as 7. I think if i needed it, i think the medicad ppl would allow me to get a super heavy capacity diaper for free. not sure about that.. For the most part, the diapers i have now do just fine.. if i change them often enough.

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:48 pm 

Falcon310 wrote:
I think that smell is an issue with both cloth and disposables.

PuddleGuy is right that cloth doesn't pull moisture away from the skin. Therefore, diaper rash is more of a hazard with cloth.

I guess the smell depends on which disposable you use... frankly my whole diaper pail full of wet disposables doesn't stink as much as one wet cloth diaper.

Honestly if you compare the "carbon footprint" of cloth diapers to modern disposables you might be surprised.

On a typical day I use 3 disposables... on a "heavy" day I'll use at most 5. Wearing 24/7 creates at most two bags of trash a week... it's really not all that much.

Versus cloth...

If I were to wear cloth diapers all day I would create a load of laundry. This would require water and soap to wash... and a whole lot of electricity to dry. The washer and dryer are the top two energy consuming appliances in your household... Don't believe me? Go look up the energy consumption ratings for them.

I'd wager that if you added it up you'd find that disposables make sense from an environmental aspect as well.

Plus you have to factor in the initial purchase price of cloth. I don't know if your insurance will cover re-usable incontinence supplies or not... and adult cloth diapers are very expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:42 pm 

Paul Martin wrote:
I've tried a lot of different plastic pants from a lot of suppliers. The enclosed elastics are really a bummer when the plastic tries to crack.
I've used some plastic and vinyl pants from Babykins, and their elastic is really comfortable. I think the best out there. ......Paul Martin

Paul, I just placed an order for 3 pair of plastic pants from Babykins. It had been a couple years since I purchased any new plastic pants and several of the ones I have are getting pretty stiff. The last few times I ordered I got them from Adult Cloth Diaper and I have been satisfied with the quality, fit and comfort level. I see there are several people posting on this board who wear the Babykins pants so I thought I might give them a try once. I don't know how soon I'll receive the pants but I'll file a report once I've had the opportunity to try them out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:06 pm 

On the issue of the relative environmental costs of cloth vs. disposables, it's not just about the energy required to launder and dry cloth vs. the landfill issues with disposables.

It's also about the environmental costs of producing the raw materials, manufacturing and transporting each alternative. For disposables, those costs are incurred for each and every diaper used. Costs such as manufacturing the fibers and plastic (oil-based, I suspect), transporting the raw materials to the manufacturing plant, manufacturing the product, then transporting it to the store (from Belgium to California for the Abenas that I use), then getting it to your home. A lot to consider, and way beyond our ability to assess.

In my view, natural and reusable is greener every time. Which does not mean that I do not use disposables during the day.

Post subject: Babykins
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:13 pm 

DDS,
You will like their plastic pants. They are a high quality product. You will not be dissapointed. I like their nylon pants since it is not effected by a diaper rash ointment. I wear a pair over my disposable every day at work. ..............Paul Martin

Post subject: Babykins
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:36 am 

I have been wearing Babykins terry lined over my disposables and am very happy with them. They also deliver within a week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:01 am 

Every one is worried about jobs well at least with disposables it keeps many people working! I wear cloth myself from time to time As far as savings with cloth it depends how you look at it. Cost wise up front how many times do you have to wear a cloth diaper before it begins to pay for itself. 20 times with a cheap one? maybe 40 or more times with a upper price one? don't also forget the plastic pants$$ Then know one seems to take in account the washer and dryer expense (water detergent electric gas sewer treatment plant) plus the nasty job of washing dirty diapers :?

As far as the environment goes Screw the go green crap. I say bring on global warming like there is such a thing anyway:lol: But wait what is this I've been hearing now we are going into global cooling and it will last for 150.000 years Funny I remember back in the 70's they were telling us all we are going into an ice age. By now I should be living in an igloo from what they said back then:lol: If you like fairy tales stick with the global warming/cooling people.................Sandy :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:55 pm 

Please stir the pot. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:24 pm 

I'm still Stirring :lol: ..................Sandy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:48 pm 

Sandy,

Are your half priced bargin Depends on too tight? If so, go green and wear cloth. The use of a newspaper and a plastic bag might be better than those Depends you bought.

I would wear cloth too but I want to save water. The Molicare Super Plus works just fine for me.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next