www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:59 pm 

Hi...

Ive been getting really fed up with the wings supreme. Ive never had a shipment where some of the diapers didnt end up totally wasted. I wonder if using cloth might be less aggravating. Or maybe a better disposable..

But, here i am, a guy with moderate to heavy incontinence, where would i start looking for an ideal diaper? Are there cloth diapers thin enough to not be too noticable?

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:27 pm 

Cloth works MUCH better than disposables! I also have heavy urinary incontinence and I can get through an entire work day on one of Angel Fluff's medium or heavy weight cloth diapers. Even the heavy weight ones are undetectable through my clothing. Check them out here: www.angelfluff.com

PS- Of course plastic pants will need to go on over them...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:48 am 

I've been a wearer of cloth diapers/plastic pants for over 6 years now. I did a lot of experimenting trying to find the right diaper for different situations, and I've found what works for me.
For night time use, I chose gauze diapers from adultclothdiaper.com. A very high quality diaper. I have used their plastic pants, too. LL Medico also has good plastic pants and a great pull-on diaper I use during the day. I can not conceal the gauze diaper under my pants during the daytime. Protex for Life has a very good light weight flat diaper that I use during the day.
For added protection, I buy cloth prefold style baby diapers found at Wal Mart*. I've had good luck so far with my cloth diapers and love them so much more over disposables! I'm use to the washing, so that's not a factor to me. Good Luck! Any more questions, just ask!! ...Paul Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:54 am 

Wow! I have never found a cloth diaper that would last all day that could not be detected under my pants because of bulk. For that reason, I've only used the cloth diapers at night in the past.

At the moment, the state is providing me with free Molicare Super Plus diapers and they work great for my needs. However, I will not continue to receive free diapers for probably more tha a few more months, and then I'm going to need to economize so it nice to know about your cloth recommendation.

Thanks for the post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:30 pm 

I'm wearing cloth whenever I'm at home or out of the house less than an hour or two. I do use disposables when the occasion calls for them but I've always had a problem with disposables leaking when I wet one more than once. It isn't that I am flooding the disposable but if if the diaper is wet in the crotch area any additional urine tends to run off the already wet area as it won't absorb any more in that area. The extra urine tends to pool up in the already wet area and when I sit or climb stairs my diaper will leak. This doesn't happen with cloth as urine wicks out of the initial wet area into the rest of the diaper. If I wet the same diaper a second time the urine will again wick out throughout the diaper. Maybe there is a disposable out there that distributes urine more evenly but I've found the ones that turn urine to jelly won't absorb any more urine once they've turned to jelly.

Of course with cloth you need a good waterproof pant of one sort or another and there are many out there to choose from. I've tried several brands and most will do the job but some are more comfortable to wear than others. I currently am using Gary which I purchase through Adult Cloth Diaper. I don't have a problem with the waistbands on the Gary pants and actually find them comfortable compared to some of the other pants I have tried. I also have several pairs of Comco pants but I'm not real fond of the heavy, stiff vinyl they use. I purchased a couple pair of the polyester pants but they didn't last as long as I'd liked them to for what I had paid for them. Plain old plastic (vinyl) pants are inexpensive and with the proper care they can last a long time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:29 pm 

I've tried a lot of different plastic pants from a lot of suppliers. The enclosed elastics are really a bummer when the plastic tries to crack.
I've used some plastic and vinyl pants from Babykins, and their elastic is really comfortable. I think the best out there. ......Paul Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:58 pm 

I went to cloth diapers at night when I decided that I was never, ever going to have another major leak on the bed. My present preferred diaper for overnight is an Angel Fluff Heavy Flannel with an Angel Fluff Insert, plus one or two cloth baby diapers. That's absorbency overkill but it eliminates stress.

The key with cloth is finding pants that fit and are comfortable. AdultClothDiapers has Leak Master High Back that I prefer because I can get the pants over my diaper in the back at my waist.

For me, cloth is too bulky for daytime, even when I'm home. You never know when the doorbell will ring.

So I use Abri-Form Supers with a booster pad, usually a cloth baby diaper, during the day. As others have said, the beauty of the cloth insert is that it wicks wetness to the front and back, using more of the disposable's absorption capacity. The cheapest way to increase capacity, I think, is with a booster pad.

If I should come up with a spare $100, I'd like to try the gauze that AdultClothDiapers has.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:27 pm 

Honestly... the first place to start with cloth is make sure you have your own washer & dryer. Cloth diapers do generate a lot of laundry... so be prepared.

Second... cloth diapers smell and some people may not like it. I have a few cloth diapers myself, but I don't use them that often b/c my girlfriend complains of the smell when they are wet.

Third... cloth diapers are bulky. I wouldn't ever wear my cloth ones outside of the house... they are very very noticable when you layer enough of them on to get decent absorbancy.

Fourth... cloth diapers will not keep your skin dry like top-quality disposables will. When my Abri-forms are wet I can't really tell it until they start to get full. They do a very good job of absorbing and locking the moisture away. When I wet my cloth diapers it feels like I just peed my pants, it just doesn't show on the outside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:03 pm 

I guess it depends on your incontinence. I am totally incontinet, but I cope with cloth very well.
Everybody's incontinence is different. In my personal experience, I don't have any problem with smell, bulkiness, or the laundry.
It does take practice to see what will work for you. In some cases, like for PuddleGuy, disposables are his choice. For me, I'll use a cloth diaper whenever I can. Just my 2 cents worth! ........Paul Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:59 pm 

I think that smell is an issue with both cloth and disposables.

PuddleGuy is right that cloth doesn't pull moisture away from the skin. Therefore, diaper rash is more of a hazard with cloth.