www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Taping on a diaper
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:35 pm 

Hey, i have a question here. I'm still very much an amateur when it comes to incontinence and diapers. I worry about whether im putting them on right. I worry about 2 things, taping the diaper on too tight, or not taping it on tight enough and leaking. How do u know if its on right? The instructions say that the breif should fit snugly, but comfortably. how snug is snug?

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:55 am 

You won't be an amateur for long and we were all right there at one time, looking at an unfolded disposable diaper wondering how the heck......?

Back up to wall is the easiest and having no clothes on helps in the beginning.....the tee shirt just gets in your way!

Hold the back of the diaper so it's somewhere in the small of your back....then back against the wall to hold it so you can let go. Reach between the legs and pull up the front, spread legs as necessary to get the crotch of the diaper snugly into your crotch.

Now see if the front of the diaper is level with the back of the diaper. If not adjust the back (which you were holding with pressure against the wall) until the front and back waist edges of the diaper are about the same.

Again, holding the diaper with pressure against the wall, AND your knees apart in a slight crouch, wrap a front wing across the top of your thigh and hold it to the rear. With your other hand bring the rear wing forward over the front wing which you are still holding to the rear with one hand and pull that rear wing snug, meaning no slack in the plastic at all. Now you can let go of the front wing which you were holding to the back and now without letting off any pressure from the hand holding the rear wing to the front, peel and stick the tape....being sure the tape is up at least an inch from the bottom edge of the diaper. Repeat for the other side.

You will develope a technique as you do this. Spreading your knees and being in a slight crouch helps keep the diaper up snugly in your crotch as you tape it on. Once the legs are taped you can move from the wall, the diaper is not going any place now.

Pull the front top to the rear, just smoothing it out with no pressure, keeping the front of the diaper centered on yourself. Pull the rear wing forward with NO pressure and stick the top tape.

Now, for the other top side, pull that front wing to the rear with enough pressure to feel nice and snug and pull that rear wing over it to the front and suck in the belly a bit and tape that one nice and snug. Rub all the tapes briskly to "set" them.

And to keep the tape edges from coming in contact with your skin when you sit and form a lap, it is wise to hold the rear wing up with one hand where you just got done taping, and fish the edge of the front wing at your thigh, and pull any slack down to get diaper material sticking out below the lower thigh tape. Repeat for the other side. this step should insure that diaper plastic/material stays between your skin and the edge of the tape to insure comfort. For what ever reason, I find if I don't do this, the diaper material migrates upwards and leaves the edge of the tape against my skin which becomes very uncomfortable.

Hope this helps! And I promise it will get easier the more times you do it. and I know you have limited funds to experiment with other diapers but do know that different diapers do fit differently. I've had some that I could not get to fit me, period! Of course, they tend to be the cheap diapers. The better, costlier diapers have better cuts for a better fit and generally better, more generous wings that make taping a pleasure.

Good luck!
JoeK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:59 am 

JoeK,

You did it again! :D Your directions are very very good. All of the adult disposable diaper manufactures should contact you to write the directions for their products.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:08 am 

Thank you, Johnstone!

We are going to try adding photos of the tape on process when we revise the Primer. Everyone seems to think taping on a diaper is a no brainer and that's just not the case.

A lot of folks don't know how much good taping technique can help with comfort and performance...they just sort of accept what they get, thinking it's the best they can expect.

JoeK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:45 am 

JoeK,

I've been bladder incontinent since 1986, and I thought I learned a thing or two about diapers over the years but your knowledge of the subjest makes me look like a beginner.

At the moment, the state is providing me with 240 disposable diapers each month. What I've learned about this type of a program over the last 6 months is that each state program is different, and federal programs such as VA, Medicare, etc., also has their own policies regarding the quality and quanity of disposable products provided to incontinent individuals that have been accepted/approved in the state, or federal sponsered program.

I just learned yesterday that one of the brands that is now avaibale to me is the Molicare Super which I'm sure is better than what I'm receiving. Currently, I'm receiving Medline Ultra Plus which is not bad, but I think Molicare will be a little better quality. I was told that the Molicare Super, (not the Super Plus) is a new diaper that Molicare is now making avaibale to state and federal programs at a lower cost.

Like many that have been incontinent for a while, you learn as you go what works, and what doesn't. One thing I learned a long time ago was proper fit and quality of the product makes a BIG difference. I wish forums such as this would have been available when I first became incontinent......I would have saved a LOT of money by taking the advise and recommendations of others, plus acceptance would have been easier by talking to others with the same problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:35 pm 

I think this is the first time I've heard anything positive about Medline ultra plus diapers. :shock: Being that those medlines are so thin you may not like the Molicare supers. But then again if you can get past the thickness they are one of the best diapers out there in my opinion. One word of caution they do tend to bulge alot once they become wet. I'd also recommend you wear a pair of mesh underwear or even regular "brief"style underwear over the diaper. it will help control the bulge and help hold it in place once it is wet. I've found they do tend to clump when your active in them and their wet. :? I often wear a tight pair of Brief style panties over them and find they stay together rather well. Another good thing about the Supers is the plastic is rather low noise for a plastic backed diaper :)

I'm sure once you have worn a few of them and figured out the pros and cons you will be fairly happy with them over all...............Sandy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:48 pm 

Sandy,

Thanks for the info. I should receive a sample tomorrow, so I will try them out and see what there like. The sample there sending is not the Molicare Super Plus, so I don't think I will have as much bulk. The Medline Ultra Plus is not bad. I can go 4-6 hours before changing during the day and all night if I use a booster pad. I was really suprised the Medline Ultra Plus was that good....not bad at all. My diaper of choise would be the Abri X-Plus but this is not one of the brands offered. When its free you don't say much especially when the diaper is reasonable quality.

Wow! I spoke to soon. As I was writting this reply UPS knock on the door. The package arrived containing 2 sample Molicare diapers. Guess what? They are the Molicare Super Plus....the color is white background with the purple lines (size Med). :) I purchased these before and I know these work very good for night without needing a booster pad. If I recall correctly, they have a little more bulk than the Abri X-Plus and I liked the tapes on the Abri X-Plus a little better. Like I said, when there free what can you say. I'm really shocked that the state is buying this type of quality. Still not my diaper of choise, but I'm not complaining....they could be sending me 240 Wings every month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:48 pm 

Wow... if you can get the Molicare Super Plus provided through your coverage consider yourself very very lucky... they're among some of the nicest diapers out there... definately top-5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:57 am 

Puddleguy,

I was very suprised to find out that the Molicare Super Plus is one of the diapers now available in the state administered program. There really are some advantages of being in a state program and not a program administered by the fed. However, I will only be able to remain in this program for another 6 months. After that, I'm on my own. I received the 2 samples from the state program rep. yesterday, and used one last night. I have purchased these before, and I agree,..... they are one of the best on the market today. In talking to the rep. yesterday, I was told in addition to the Molicare Super Plus, there is also a Molicare Super that is available. I'm sure the Super is not as absorbent as the Super Plus,..... and since I'm diaper dependent anyway, I will go with the Super Plus for the extra absorbancy. The Medline diapers I've been receiving are not bad, but the Molicare Super Plus is my second choise of disposables. My first choise would be Abri X-Plus, but that is not one of the brands availabe in the program. I'm not complaining that's for sure. :D