www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:56 am 

Or you could say.. adventures in cloth diapers, because life is one grand adventure...

I really havent the slightest regret of my decision to try traditonal cloth. The one thing that remains is figuring out how long I can be in a wet cloth diaper before I'm uncomfortable enough to say.. oh crap I gotta get out of this wet diaper!!! I recently realized that even disposables don't always keep wetness from the skin 100%. Very few brands can claim total dryness, and they usually cost an arm and a leg for a case. I have been experementing with using my rash cream I got from Medicaid with the cloth diaper because I am told that with natural fiber diapers, you can still use any cream, it doesn't have to be "cloth diaper friendly." A good wash routine will wash out the petrolatum or any other ingredient that is not water soluable and repples water. One MAJOR MAJOR breaktrhough was I figured out how to put on a contour diaper and a flat over it STANDING UP. THis means I no longer need to incorporate fitted diapers into my work cloth diapering routine; I can just use flats and contours all day long and just change when I get uncomfortable. This is HUGE because one gauze flat diaper or contour is HALF the cost of 1 fitted diaper from ecoable.
for the cost of 4 fitteds, i can get 8 flats or contours (flats and contours are roughly the same price). Im really happy overall with my experience with ACD. Their products seem reasonably priced, and while shipping isnt free, I get my orders from them very fast even though they are in UT and I am in MI. They seem fairly responsive, answering my question about dobule diapering and washing routine, but did not reply when I gave them acompliment. I'm sure they are very busy making all their great quality diapers.

I have yet to order any prefolds, because I am happy with contour and flat diapers for now. A major turnoff for prefolds is the higher cost and longer drying times. I just don't know if id find a use for them. Perhaps once I have a complete inventory of flats and contours ill try a prefold or two. For now, I'd say my setup is working really well.. Just still need to find a way to keep myself more comfortable in a wet cloth diaper, and I'm golden. Suggestions on that end would be appreciated.

Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:40 am 

I got a couple of ACD night time prefolds over a year ago. Used them once. They took so much dryer time compared to night time flats that I haven't used them since. The terry inner layers just don't want to give up water. It was an expensive experiment. Flats plus boosters targeting "certain" areas absorb plenty but wash and dry quickly. I wish you the best. Stan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:08 pm 

Stan wrote:
I got a couple of ACD night time prefolds over a year ago. Used them once. They took so much dryer time compared to night time flats that I haven't used them since. The terry inner layers just don't want to give up water. It was an expensive experiment. Flats plus boosters targeting "certain" areas absorb plenty but wash and dry quickly. I wish you the best. Stan

They also do an all-birdseye prefold although you have to buy several in one order, but they don't have the terry core that the Leakmaster ones have, just several layers of birdseye or gauze (Rearz do a twill prefold as well). Not sure if Ellyn still reads this but she's used the ACD birdseye prefolds for years so she might have some advice on that. I didn't have that particular problem when I used the Rearz twill prefolds.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:55 pm 

My inventory are mostly ACD birdseye, night weight pre-folds. And, yes, they do take forever to dry. Six of them will take ninety minutes in the dryer, or 3-4 hours on the line in the hot sun. But they work well for me. As for becoming comfortable wearing a wet diaper, this can be problematic. We all do it, often of necessity. However, the threat of diaper rash is real, and can disrupt our lives, even when an OTC medication can cure it in a day or two.