www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trying to be upbeat
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:19 pm 

Usually.. when dealing with this issue..i've been upbeat and postivive.. but a few nights ago..right after i used the bathroom.. and ii eaked several spots..i was protected thank goodness.but i got angry..i said this cant be happening to me!

I sure hope the docs can fix my urine leakage..because these products are getting expensive.. by the way..i figured out that tape on diapers are actually less expensive than pull ups! what gives?

Even though i have light to moderate incon troubles.. the pads desiged for light incontinence just DON"T cut it as far as adhesive goes.. now.. if they made guards with the adhesive of duct tape..then id use em..othewise..id rather use an undergarment, pull up..or even brief... i figrue a store brand brief is equivalent in absorbancy to an name brand undergarment.. hmm.. theres an interesting idea..

i just might be able to save money if i was able to get briefs for cheap and only use 1 a day..problem is i average 2 pads a day.they're changed not because their wet.. but because theyre soaked in sweat :_)

anyway..all for now!

ROb

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:22 am 

Hi Thank you for joining our Board :D it's always nice to see a new person :wink:

I don't want to bring you down but rather warn you ahead of time. In most cases the doctors Ideas of help often are more trouble then it's worth. Often times if it does help the issue it's treating it will cause other issues. And many find the side effects are far worse then the issue itself :?

I think it's safe to say that most of us if not all of us on this board would be happy to be rid of incontinence. But most of us veterans have found that life is allot easier if you skip the meds and just wear the proper protection and get out and LIVE :!:.

As far as protection goes Being a Male you may find that pads will not work as well for you as they would for a Female. Just an observation I've made over the years but it seems us Females are able to use pads allot better then men. My thought is that women when we leak it comes from a fixed point where as a man will leak from a shifting or moving point. If that makes sense. (Please you guys jump in anytime :?) From reading other boards I've gotten the idea that it's better for males to have a snug fit in the crotch or leg openings to keep yourself in place :? So with this said Briefs or Pullups would more then likely be the way to go your a male.

Talking about the sweat issue and how often to change. For one I would say if your not using a powder start. I would highly recommend a Corn Starch Powder such as J&J corn starch medicated Baby Powder. I know the smell is a little over powering and I'd be the first to say I could do without the smell :( But I have to tell you in my opinion the stuff works great.

As far as protection goes if your not flooding but just a little dribble from time to time Your lucky :) The cheap diapers should work just fine for you or the light absorbency Pullups should also work good. I'd Recommend if your dealing with a moister issue whether it be sweat or urine you should change more the just once or twice a day. But on the other hand if your not affected by rashes it may not be a big deal.

As far as cost goes if you just by the store brands it shouldn't be to bad. You may want to try Ebay you can get some screaming deals on there.

I'm sure some of the guys will jump in here and give you some advice from the male prospective.

Again thanks for getting on the Board :D Hope to here more from you :)
..................................Sandy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:50 pm 

HI sandy.. thanks for the warm welcome! I hope i'm not an impostor here..
since all im mostly talking about is a few dribbles..
Thanks for the warning.. i kinda agree.. u know what the urologist did? He said well.. we can do all sorts of tests but i think first we should try a pill.. So he puts me on detrol..ive been on it a week.. and still not confident enough to go completely without protection.. this moring.. i woke up with a full bladder.. went to the bathroom..but the stream almost seemed weak.. and it almost felt like the bladder didnt empty compeltey.. and there was some spottage afterwards..btw..any of you fellow men who suffer light incontinence and are considering trying attends guards, DONT! they are flimsy..and i noticed that the gel crystals are Not well contained.. in fact.. after i wet one.. i could see the spot on the pad. and the crystals absorbed it..but there was one out of the polymer and in the middle of the pad! the padding doesnt even go all teh way around the bloddy thing. theres a crease down the middle bottom an inch wide where theres no padding at all! to top it off.. the adhesive is really bad.. i will say they are comfortable..but definetly not worth the 34 bucks i dropped for a case of 64! Per unit theyre actually 10 cents more expensive that depend guards.. yet depend guards work a whole lot better imho.. In fact.. i bet even store brand gurads would work better..but in general.. i think il stay away from gaurds and go with undergarments or pullups..yes.. more expensive..but.. they dont move! the one downside of belted undergarrments i have found is that the straps bunch up..thats why i paid an arm and a leg for pullups.

So.. here I stand..hoping the docs can get me out of pads..

Ill keep u all posted!

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:56 pm 

well.. today im trying something diffent.. going without pads..icreasing my fluid intake.. and sittin down to go to the bathroom..so far no spottage! yay! b

But.. ive had to go to the bathroom 3 times in the last hour! maybe increased fluid intake irirtates my bladder..it almost feels like theres a burining sensation.. i dont know whats worse.. less fluid intake using the bathroom every 2 hours or so with some spottage requiring pads..or not using pads. increasing my intake and having to go every 15 minutes..
ugh..

No spottage may not mean much..because.. my problem seems to be sporadic at times.. it could be affected by fluid intake..

also.. i still get the occasional what i think is bladder spasm..that isn't normal is it?

also.. some time after i used the bathroom.. it almost seemed like i had an urge to empty it and had to hod it back conciusly.. i know THATs not normal..

anyway.. if i can go without pads for a day or two.. could cut costs.. ill keep u all updated

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:53 pm 

looks like i spoke to soon.. got a couple spots on the undies.. Arrgh. theyre not big.. but theyre ther.. ug

well.. its almost 5 o clock now.. i figure i went a good 8 hours without resorting to pads.. and my skin didn't suffer.. well i saved me a pull up/undergarment! since i usually use 2 a day.. if i were to put one on now it should last me until tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:00 pm 

sociologygeek
As always, Sandy has given out some great advise.
As for me, I don't take chances. I would rather waste a pad, or diaper and know that I don't have to worry about wetting rather than always having it on my mind and not being able to get anything else done.

My doctor had me try Detrol LA too, and it stopped me from going all together causing me to go a week with a Foley Catheter, and now having to self catheterize until things settle down. During this, the one thing the doctor has told me that has helped was to increase my fluid intake. I am not one that likes to drink a lot of fluids because I don’t like wetting myself all the time, but now, because what has happened, and the support that Sandy and others have given here on this board, I am at the point that it’s better to be have the fluids and live with protection/diapers than mess up my insides and my mental state any worse than what it is.

I am at the point that I would rather spend my money on protection and have it on than try to figure out if this will be a good or bad day/night.

Keep your chin up and keep posting on the board. There are lots here that are very helpful, true God Sends.

Kent

Post subject: thanks.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:01 pm 

Thanks KT.. i can honelstly say.. increasing fluid intake doesnt do much for symptoms if anything.. I still feel like theres something oozing out.. theres less of it if i sit down.. and wipe my johnson aftewards..but even then..im still noticing spots! its minor compared to what other people experience.. but it is AGGRAVATING! Life has been so much better since i started wearing protection.. no underwear-smelling urine..less irritaiton..

My gut says somethings wrong with the sphicter..its not getting a good seal.. thats what the GP said.. told that to the urologist.. and he said well this will let us know for sure..i didn want to call him arrogan.. but i thoguht that wa.. Detrol.. why the hell detrol! i dont have sudden urges to urinate throughout the day.. well sometmes.. but thats probalb due to not drinkin water.. whatever's going on..i want it to fricken end... i shouldnt have to sit down on the toilet. void..and then void 5 or 6 times after that..and then whipe off the johnson with toilet paper and then still have a bit of spottage!

sorry to be so negative.. but this is really starting to bug me.. agh as i type this..i jsut feelt the oozing senation agaon..id bet a million to one its urine..

Unfortunetly.. i cant see a urologist agian for a freakin month...
One thing i hope is that if i cant fix this problem, medicaid will pay for my pads..they cost an arm and a leg!

all for now..Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:35 am 

Rob,
Let me welcome you to the board along with Sandy. I don't know your age, but a lot of your problems sort of sounds like BPH (prostate) problems. That can cause leakage, urges, not emptying completely. I don't know why doctors think you need to try Detrol. It didn't work for me. My wife uses it, and she believes it helps her.
In the meantime, I think a pull up type diaper would work well, even though your over ptrotected. But by using that type product, you eliminate the other problems you mentioned.
Let us know what the doc says. We are all here to help! ......Paul Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:58 am 

Thanks Paul!

I'm 25 years old. I don't mind wearing pullups if it keeps my dry.. what i mind is the EXPENSE.. Damn.. i bought thes pullups not 2 weeks ago and im already down to 5.. and it was 8.99 for a package of 18 and those were on sale.. i figure.. being real conservative and using only 2 a day.. package of pull ups lasts me maybe a week and 3 days.. esh.. i just figured out if i go thru 3 packages a month..thats 36 dollars a month..multiply by 12..thats 480 a year! i know thats cheap compared to what most of you probably spend on disposables.. but keep in mind that my montly budget is only 100 every 2 weeks..im not made of money! I'm hoping that either A) they find whats causing the problem and FIX it or b) insurance covers the cost of my supplies

i just figured out if i were to use tape on adult diaprs..using a really good deal i found online.. i could save well over 100 dollars a year..

all for now!

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:45 pm 

well.. up until now the spots have been small.. but today its a big spot..and i wastnt doing anything.. i was just staning there.. and there was no strong sudden urge to void..it just drooled out... now i defintely think sometihgs wrong with my sphincter