www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dry 24/7 diapers
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:01 am 

sociologygeek wrote:
Dry 24/7 look interesting. While i'm not sure i would actually need that much absorbency, i may give them a try. Just a few questions..how bulky are they? are they as bulky as abena abri-form X-plus?

The Drys are quite thick... pretty much the same as an Abri-Xplus. The padding in the Drys is shorter so it doesn't cover as much up front or come up quite so high in the rear... but overall the diapers feel very similar.

I have been able to try the Drys and the Abri-Xplus back to back before and it is honestly a toss-up between the two. Absorbancy is pretty much the same with both... the Drys fit more snugly and are cheaper... but I will honestly say that the Abris are more comfortable.

Give it a try and see what you think... seems everyone is looking for something different in an incontinence protection product these days, thus why there are so many brands on the market.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:19 am 

sociologygeek,

I would recommend NOT buying a case of the Dry 24/7's until you have tried a sample pack. I just received a sample pack I ordered and the quality if very good, but the sizing is very bad for a medium size waist. I have a 38" waist and the diaper would fit a size 55" waist according to their website. If your waist size is in the low 30"s then you might want to try the small size. Try a sample before you buy a case. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:02 pm 

Thanks for the input. Yes, while some may think giving up the toilet for a dribble here and a dribble there may be drastic, and i concede that. But, sometimes it is more than that. Also, they have not been in my shoes. I have put up with wet underwear for years. If i cannot wear underwear and keep them dry, i have no choice but to wear diapers or pullups. I refuse to wear wet underwear anymore. And, through no fault of my own, it does seem to be progressing to more and more heavy wettings. This may be partly due to "laziness" where i get an urge to urinate and don't feel like pulling down my diaper to use the toilet. I still use the toilet. My fear is that if i dont use the toilet, i will lose all control. But, seeing as how im in diapers either way, i dont see what difference it makes. It would mean more diaper changes at the worst time possible, skin issues, and so forth. It would also seem odd to not go into the bathroom when everyone else does.

If i have lost some control due to the fact i'm wearing and getting used to breifs, that is hard to get back is'nt it? the way i see it is this: Either I get cured here and now within the next few months, or im in diapers for life. Whether i give up both functions will remain to be seen. using the diapers for fecal matter poses special problems of skin and odor.

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:13 am 

Geek: I know where you are coming from. My daytime problems did a slow progression over the course of a few years, much like you seem to be experiencing now. It started with a dribble here and there, or leakage if I was delayed in getting to the toilet, and just kept getting worse. I knew the doctors couldn't help me... so I dealt with it on my own the best I could. I finally got to the point where you seem to be at now.

The realization kicks in that you are going to be wet no matter what you do, so why bother wasting time going to the restroom to urinate. Find a quality absorbant product, get used to changing in public, and go on with life. You may even discover that usng diapers all the time has its advantages. No more getting up in the middle of a movie or show, no having to stand in lines to use the smelly restrooms or (god forbid) porta-potties and concerts, festivals, and sporting events... road trips: stop when you want to, not every hour. Through the years there has been more than one instance where friends of mine have found themselves in a potentially wet situation and have made use of the stash of spare diapers I carry around with me... those 3-hour long traffic jams on the interstate come to mind.

All that being said, I don't use my diapers for both functions... the smell and cleanup issues are a pain to me. However things do happen accidentally on occasion, and those are times when I'm thankful to be wearing protection, but they do serve to remind me that there are things that I would rather keep in the toilet if at all possible. I don't think I would wish fecal incontinence on my worst enemy, and I do feel very badly for those who have no choice but to live with it. Being wet is one thing, just a minute or two and you can have a clean diaper on... being soiled, whole 'nother ball game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:11 pm 

This is really a touchy issue. Being incontinent of bladder does not mean you will automaticlly beome fecal incontinent without cause. Something has to happen to make you fecal incontinent such as physical limitations, disease, or injury. Just being incontinent of urine does not mean you will become incontinent of bowels for reasons stated. However, if for whatever reason you decided to pass stool in the diaper, then this was by "choice" and not initiated because of a medical reason. Being lazy, or not caring if you soil the diaper is not a medical reason. I think there needs to be some type of reason that creats the issue of fecal incontinence. For some, lack of motivation, or not caring about soiling themselves when they are already incontinent of urine does happen.....and probably more than poeple want to talk about.

If you are not already bowel incontinent for a medical reason, or will not become incontinent for medical reasons, then to become fecal incontinent will have be done by choice.

Odor can be controled with over the counter meds. Clean up is not so bad, 3-4 large adult incontinent wipes work fine. Its not necessary that you stop everyhting your doing a change a soiled diaper, but it does need to be done in a timely manner to maintain healthy skin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:13 pm 

This is really a touchy issue. Being incontinent of bladder does not mean you will automaticlly beome fecal incontinent without cause. Something has to happen to make you fecal incontinent such as physical limitations, disease, or injury. Just being incontinent of urine does not mean you will become incontinent of bowels for reasons stated. However, if for whatever reason you decided to pass stool in the diaper, then this was by "choice" and not initiated because of a medical reason. Being lazy, or not caring if you soil the diaper is not a medical reason. I think there needs to be some type of reason that creats the issue of fecal incontinence. For some, lack of motivation, or not caring about soiling themselves when they are already incontinent of urine does happen.....and probably more than poeple want to talk about.

If you are not already bowel incontinent for a medical reason, or will not become incontinent for medical reasons, then to become fecal incontinent will have be done by choice.

Odor can be controled with over the counter meds. Clean up is not so bad, 3-4 large adult incontinent wipes work fine. Its not necessary that you stop everyhting your doing a change a soiled diaper, but it does need to be done in a timely manner to maintain healthy skin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:14 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:16 pm 

This is really a touchy issue. Being incontinent of bladder does not mean you will automaticly beome fecal incontinent without cause. Something has to happen to make you bowel incontinent such as physical limitations, disease, or injury. Just being incontinent of urine does not mean you will become incontinent of bowels for reasons stated. However, if for whatever reason you decided to pass stool in the diaper, then this was by "choice" and not initiated because of a medical reason. Being lazy, or not caring if you soil the diaper is not a medical reason. I think there needs to be some type of reason that creats the issue of fecal incontinence. For some, lack of motivation, or not caring about soiling themselves when they are already incontinent of urine does happen.....and probably more than poeple want to talk about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:17 pm 

This is really a touchy issue. Being incontinent of bladder does not mean you will automaticly beome fecal incontinent without cause. Something has to happen to make you bowel incontinent such as physical limitations, disease, or injury. Just being incontinent of urine does not mean you will become incontinent of bowels for reasons stated. However, if for whatever reason you decided to pass stool in the diaper, then this was by "choice" and not initiated because of a medical reason. Being lazy, or not caring if you soil the diaper is not a medical reason. I think there needs to be some type of reason that creats the issue of fecal incontinence. For some, lack of motivation, or not caring about soiling themselves when they are already incontinent of urine does happen.....and probably more than poeple want to talk about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:12 pm 

What are the chances i was misdiagnosed? I was diagnosed with urge incontinence and stress incontinence. But stress incontinence is associated with leaking when i cough. If i had urge incontinence, then the OAB med should have had some effect. I think i may acutally have overflow incontinence. Is it possible to mistake one type of incontience for the other?

My reason for thinking this is the fact that my symptoms seem to mimic those of overflow at times, yet i had no obstruction and bladder ultrasound showed no retention. I take catapres, and i read that that sometimes causes urinary retention, which in turn can cause overflow incontinece.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next