www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:48 pm 

Well... being "totally diaper dependant" as you put it means you would only be running off to the restroom to change when it was needed... no more even bothering to try to pee in the toilet. I don't know how many times you go to the restroom each day, but before I switched to diapers 24/7 I was going around ten times a day. It wasn't exactly every hour, but it was close.

Considering that you are already wearing the diapers, I think for you it would just be a matter of using them all the time. As I have said in the past, that is one hell of a mental barrier to get over... but once you can accept that it becomes easier day by day. Admitting that your control isn't as good as you think it is may be a good step down that road.

Now I'll probably take some criticism for what I am about to say, but I'll call it as I see it.

Whether you end up needing them that particular day or not you are already wearing the diapers, and I'll assume that you are already carrying around changing supplies with you incase a larger accident should occur. To me it only makes sense to go ahead and use the toilet that is taped to your rear-end rather than have to struggle to get into a restroom, get the diaper out of the way, do your business, and then still end up slightly wet after it is all said and done anyways. Call it pessimistic, call it whatever you like, but that is what the diaper is there for after all.

Ultimately that decision will be completely up to you... but if I may continue with my advice... try using the diapers for a week, forget about peeing in the toilet, and see how you feel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:55 pm 

the only concern i have with using only the diapers is: are they absorbent enough? So far, the diapers i have been using have been great for containing my accidents. But, in order to completly give up the toilet 100% i would need a better brief.

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:43 am 

Having a top-notch product is certainly of supreme importance when it comes to using the diaper and only the diaper... and I do see where your options are limited in that reguard, it certainly makes choices difficult. I don't know exactly what your income situation is like... but a high quality brief like Dry 24/7 can make a huge difference in your daily life... it may be worth giving up a few other things so you can save up that $75 a month for a case. If you could afford it, use something like the Drys during the daytime out in public and the insurance provided ones at night or around the house. Also, if it helps you out, any money spent on incontinence supplies is tax deductable... so if you do start spending money out-of-pocket, keep your reciepts for when you file your returns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:52 am 

Good advise Puddle guy. A booster pad can also work pretty well. Story short, the state pays for my medical and incontinent supplies. I am doing exactly what you have recommend. I use an extended wear diaper anytime I go places for more than a few hours. The quality of what the diapers the state sends is really pretty good. Not the cheap kind, but not the high line either. When used together with a booster pad at night they do very well, but have a little bulk when the booster pad is added so I don't like to wear them with the booster pad outside the house. A good quality extended wear diaper works the best for me when I know I will be away from home for severl hours. Speaking of which.......I should receive the Dry 24/7 today. They send me an email on Sunday stating the sample pack had been mailed. Should arrive today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:00 am 

Being Female I'm no authority on this subject. But I've read on other post on other forums in the past that men have found that pads can be a problem for them verses a more traditional diaper? The pads tend to allow to much movement for their "thingy" :shock: Often even with only dribbles they tend to leak out the side of the pad verses using a more traditional Diaper that will fit much tighter and with the elastic legs it will help hold them more center. Granted if your only a dribbler you would be able to get by with just the cheapest diapers. You wouldn't need anything thick........................Sandy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:18 am 

Valid Sandy... quite valid. I tried out a pack of the "male guard" things back when I was first starting to have daytime issues... needless to say they caused more problems than they solved. I liked the Goodnites when they first came out, but since I have outgrown them I have not been able to find a comparable adult sized pullup that is friendly to the male anatomy.

I don't know about any of you other guys... but I have found that tucking my "thingy" (as Sandy so nicely put it) downward into the crotch of the diaper makes a big difference in preventing leakage and increasing absorbancy. More of the diaper's rear padding gets used so the average diaper can actually hold one more wetting than it could when I wasn't tucking. I also don't have to worry about going over-the-top of the diaper and getting the waistband of my pants wet. It does take a bit to get used to... but eventually it feels natural and comfortable. You guys should try it if you haven't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:21 am 

Sandy,

I think it is more the fit of the diaper that makes a difference when used in combination with the pad. I don't think all diapers and pads are compatible. It's a trial and error to find the right combination sometimes, but this of ourse, depends on the needs of the individual....if the pad used is so small it really won't make any difference how the diaper fits.

Post subject: Dry 24/7 diapers
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:10 pm 

Dry 24/7 look interesting. While i'm not sure i would actually need that much absorbency, i may give them a try. Just a few questions..how bulky are they? are they as bulky as abena abri-form X-plus?

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:03 am 

First off on the subject of "How much Diaper do I need?" There is no such thing as too much - only too little! Too much means never having a leak or never worring about a leak. Don't try and "live on the edge" you will regret it over and over again! One trick that may help the light wetting crowd is to place a good "drip pad" inside a pull-on diaper. When it had reached its max you still have the pull-on over it - which means you can remove the pad and still have lots of protection, or if you can't change you have a back up for leaks. Papa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:03 am 

First off on the subject of "How much Diaper do I need?" There is no such thing as too much - only too little! Too much means never having a leak or never worring about a leak. Don't try and "live on the edge" you will regret it over and over again! One trick that may help the light wetting crowd is to place a good "drip pad" inside a pull-on diaper. When it had reached its max you still have the pull-on over it - which means you can remove the pad and still have lots of protection, or if you can't change you have a back up for leaks. Papa

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next