www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:57 pm 

Well... John, right or wrong, i have felt less guilty about using the diaper.
After my test, i went to the toilet after having gone no more than an hour prior. I started wetting before i got the diaper down to pee in toilet, there was a mini fountian in the bathroom :oops: Well, i said, SCREW IT. I just hiked the diaper back up and went to class. it got wet mid class. Im not proud of it, but like i said, i dont feel guilty about it either. While i have not completly given up the toilet for urination, I do feel less guilty about just using the diaper.

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:12 pm 

Good for you! Haha, sorry if that sounded wrong.

But seriously, it is a big step getting to the point where you really feel okay about just going in your diaper and getting on with your day. There is too much living to do out there in the world to live chained to the closest toilet forever.

If I may make a suggestion... from what I've read it seems that you are using pullup style garments? If you switch to a full tape-on diaper you might find the transition easier simply b/c you are giving yourself less choice in the matter. You can't just jog to the restroom, untape the diaper, and go. Once the diaper is on it pretty well stays put. Not to mention the fact that full diapers absorb way more than any pullup.

Eventually you may come to the realization that toileting habits are really just a social stigma... and every culture treats them a bit differently. Adults in diapers are far more accepted over in Japan than they are here, for various reasons. You don't have to kill yourself in order to get to a toilet in time, or feel angry or embarassed when you don't. There are bigger matters out there, and if someone is going to criticize you or condemn you for it then they don't deserve your concern anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:46 pm 

Puddle guy,

Actually, i already wear full-fledged briefs, the tape on kind. I have been doing so since august. What i do is i pull the diaper down in order to use the toilet. In order to do this, i make sure the diaper has a waistband.

I use briefs vs pullups because i was put off by the way pullups fit, they seemed loose. And they didnt have enough padding in the front, i always had to worry about where i was pointed.

In a few months i have gone from saying, "anything but diapers/briefs" to "briefs are the only things i will wear" Part of this is due to comfort, part of it is due to protection. There were times when i flooded an undergarment without control.

Actually, i think ive needed a brief all a long, i just pinched myself off before i wet too much. But when i leave the wetting unimpeded, it tends to be a full bladder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:22 pm 

I see. Well, that is certainly an interesting approach to things. Is that comfortable? What brand do you use? If you don't mind me asking. With the ones that I wear it would take an act of congress to get my privates out of them and over a toilet.

Also... if it's not too much information, do you tuck yours? Point it downwards that is to say. I didn't start doing that until more recently, and it took some getting used to, but it has made a world of difference in the capacity of my diapers, and it has helped prevent leakage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:28 pm 

i dont mind at all..

I use Kendall wings supreme.. and i dont worry about which way my penis is pointed. As far as using the toilet, i either pull the diaper down, or sometimes i reach into the crotch and pull it out. Sometimes i cant pull it down without undoing the tapes.

Like i said, i tried using the pullups. but i dont see the point in doing that, when briefs fit better, are more discreet in how much they show above the waist, and more absorbent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:29 pm 

Interesting.

I did try the Kendalls a few years ago. They're not bad for the price.

If I may... try tucking your... equipment... downwards, and get a more absorbant diaper, you might find that just using the diaper all the time will be more convenient for you.

I'm using Abri-form Supers during the daytime now. They are really outstanding in the absorbancy department and aren't any thicker than other daytime diapers on the market. They are actually thinner than the old Attends that I used to use, yet they hold more! They are also priced affordably, less than $1 per brief when you get a whole case.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:53 am 

Puddle guy,

When it comes to choosing diapers, my choices are rather limited. I have a limited income and thus have to rely on diapers i can get thru my insurance. Medicaid does pay for diapers. However, it contracts with only one supplier, J&B medical. When asked what diapers my insurance will cover, i was given a choice of Tena Ultra, Wings Supreme, Attends brethable, attends 8, or Select by tranquility. I chose the wings because of the waistband. I may choose another diaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:17 am 

I don't advocate not using the bathroom for anyone that is incontinent, but I do preach that no one should be a slave to the bathroom and how a person manages the issue of incontinence is a very important part of moving forward with life. Some people only have a very mild form of incontinence (few dribbles) and wear a diaper for this type of incontinence which is an over kill when a small pad is really the only type of protection needed. On the other hand, a person who is totally, or double incontintinent will need a more absorbent product. Frequency of loss is a major consideration in the type of product that is needed, but this sometimes requires some mental adjustment "acceptance" in wearing a diaper to manage the problem of incontinence. I contend that people should do whatever they feel most comfortable with but NEVER let the problem of incontinence hold them back, or prevent them from moving forward with life. For some, including myself, I have a frequency urge issues assoiated with my incontinence and wear a diaper 24/7, and will probably be totally incontinent of bladder & bowel soon and don't give a second thought to using the diaper. For those people that only loose a few drops a day may find my lack of bathroom use unacceptable, but they don't have the frequency issues of incontinence like I do. I stand steadfast that anyone that experiences incontinence needs to do whatever they feel most comfortable with as long as they are moving forward with life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:43 am 

That is sound advice there John.

Do what you are comfortable with for sure, but there is seriously no need to be "chained" to the nearest restroom. I've been down that road and can testify that switching to full diapers 24/7 really gave me my life back. Everyone's situation is different, some more than others, sometimes it comes down to a matter of experimentation to figure out what will and won't work best to suit your physical and mental needs.

Sociologygeek: Having to rely on government supplied diapers certainly complicates things. Limited choices suck, for lack of a better word, and I certainly hope conditions for you improve soon. From the list of products you provided in your post I believe that the Kendalls that you are currently using are probably your best choice.

The insurance provided for me by my employer does not cover disposable incontinence aids, and I have had my fill of cloth diapers, so I've been paying for supplies out-of-pocket for a while now. One thing is certain, it isn't cheap. I figure my diapers cost me $150 a month on average... which is why cost-per-diaper and capacity are so important to me. Thankfully though, I am able to write off the cost of medical supplies on my taxes... so I keep all my reciepts and get a good percentage of my expenditures back as a refund every year.

Post subject: On using briefs
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:11 pm 

Somedays, briefs are overkill. Some days, they are not. As you know, i have mixed stress and urge incontinence. There is the postvoid dribble. But there is also the time where i havent gone to the bathroom, and i am wetting myself. While i havent pinned down the cause of it, I seem to recall having this for quite some time, if not my entire life. The best i can describe it is having an itch to pee. Its brought on by just standing there looking for stometing sometimes. I reember wetting my pants a lot as a kid. I also remember sometimes only wetting a little. So, when faced with wearing diapers 24/7 or trying to maintain control, i have to ask whether i even had full control of my bladder in the first place. So, really, i dont see what difference being totally diaper dependent would make.