www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:39 am 

Rob,

When are you receiving the diapers? I would have them send some to you ASAP so you don't need to buy any. It sound like you have a neurogenic bladder. That's what I have. Even if I used the bathroom ever hours I still have leakage. I just go with the flow now...going to be wet anyway so what's the difference and I don't need to camp out in the bathrrom all the time. During the day, I change every 4-6 hours, and at night I use a booster pad and go all night before I change. In time, I think you will do the same. You can live in the bathroom if you want, but for me it didn't make much of a difference no matter how much I used the bathroom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:00 am 

John..i was told today that my prescription is set.. and the diapers will arrive this week or next week..yesterday i bought a bag of depend..

As far as having a neurgenic bladder.. that is a strong possibliity.. after my second urologist appointment, they marked on my sheet neurogenic bladder.. then after they did the urodynamics the nurse marked urinary frequency and urgency. Then when i met with the urologist again, and described my symptoms, he marked stress incontinence and urge incontinence. Why the diagnosis has changed, i don't know. whether the medication they are having me take has made any visible change, i am not sure.. it may have reduced the amount of diapers i use, but the fact remains, i still use them.. this morning, i woke up and stood up.. and almost immediatly had an episdode.. and the brief leaked.. normally it doesnt leak.. i think from now on i need to wear a boosted diaper to bed along with plastic pants.. your right..i may just wear diapers 24/7 rather than attempt to maintain using the toilet.. but not yet.. i want to see if the medication will make leakage stop..

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:23 am 

Rob,

Good luck with the meds. None of them helped much in my situation. They do work for some, but not much can be done for nerve damage which is the cause of my problem. The only thing I can recommed to you is don't think you need to be a slave to the bathroom and let the bladder problem take control of your life because you need to use the bathroom all the time. I think that's where the acceptance kicks in. After a while you don't even think about it much. I'm wet and dirty now. I will change soon and be set to go for 6 hours. The only thing that requires any thought is if I am going any place away from home. That just means I change before I leave and if I will be gone long, I use a booster pad in the diaper, or use one of the Abri X-Plus diapers I have. No big deal....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:22 pm 

well.. they sent out an order today.what i dont know is if it will include the washable pants.. while u say i don't need them..this morning they would have been handy.. my brief leaked..perhaps it wasnt on tight..maybe it woudlnt have leaked had i had a booster in there..but the leak wasnt large..but it did get my bed ad carpet wet.. sooner i get those supplies..the better..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:24 pm 

I'm not sure what effect if any the VESIcare is having.. but.. it may be helping some.. this morning i wet.. but that was probably because i didnt take the medication.. but.. even if i take the medication.. there is still leakage.. not a whole lot sometimes.. but its still there.. regardless.. i still need diapers for the morning deluges that sometimes happen before the medication takes effect..and sometimes i still remember wetting a diaper even after staying dry for hours prior by trying to put off urination..

I do not feel safe not wearing diapers.. indeed.. i havent worn undewear without some pad since..gee, i cant reembember.. if i do get cured and have no dribbles..it will feel weird wearing underwear again..but.. it would be wonderful. Are we there yet? No, i have not had a single day where i did not end up with a wet diaper at some point or another. Leakage reduction is nice..but theres still LEAKAGE..

I will not wear underwear until i have assurance that i will not leak a drop..
ive put up wit wet underwear for too long to go back to that.. but..i may downgrade to pullups..or not.. i seem to remember the main motivation for wearing briefs is the inadequate fit of pullups

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:47 am 

Rob,

Don't you take your meds at the same time everyday? In some ways it sounds like you are having a med problem. I take 5 meds, ...most in the morning, but some at night before bed. Having a routine with the meds makes a difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:00 am 

Rob,

You probably just need to get use to wearing a certain type of brief so you can be sure you have the fit right. Using a breif with a booster pad should not leak if you had it on correctly. I'm pretty wet when get up in the morning and I use a booster pad at night with no problem of leakage. Just make sure the brief is secure so you don't have any leaks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:52 pm 

John, I try to take them the same time every morning.. and i try to urinate first thing... i still find that..despite my going to the bathroom after i got to work.. i still ended up leaking urine before my shift got over.. ut wasnt a whole lot of leakage.. but it was still there.. and..again.. today. if i had delayed going to the bathroom and remain standing in a spot for more than a few minutes.. i would start leaking.. i leaked at 1:30.. and then.. at 3:00 it was either go pee.. or start leaking.. despite taking vesicare..and this was with minimal fluid intake.. i have not had a single wenesday where i have gone though with a dry diaper.. i suppose i would had i taken bathroom breaks.. but..again.. i dont know if the vesicare is helping.. i rember yesteday even after i took it..i was unable to delay urination.. if someone asked me how long i can go without using the bathroom..i would have to say no more than 2 hours..maybe 2 and half if i'm lucky.. thats with low fluid in take..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:51 am 

Rob,

I would take to your doc about your med. It doesn't sound to me like it is working, or maybe the dose needs to be adjusted. I know one thing for certain, don't slow down your fluid intake cause of the bladder problem. Over all, it really just sounds like you are making some adjustment/aceptance of the situation. Once you get the correct brief selected with the right fit you will not have any more leaks. The problem with the med could be nothing more than a doseage adjustment, but if not, maybe there's another med to try. I think I said it before, depending on the type of bladder problem you have meds may not work, or to a limited extent. Don't be to disapointed if the meds have little affect, or don't work at all....maybe they will. The last thing is acceptance...I know I have said it before, and everyone if different, you need to do what YOU think is best for you when it comes managing the problem. I would tell you that you should NOT let the problem manage you. I think a lot of pepole let the problem mange them for to long when they become incontinent. I know, for some the problem starts out samll and never gets better and goes from bad to worse over time. My advise is to find the right protection and don't live in the bathroom, panic mode, and don't reduce the intake of fluids. Relax, your in control! Find a routine that works best for YOU! I may joke about it, but I go with the flow and don't live in the bathroom. Whatever happens happens and I change in the day every 4-6 hours when I'm home, or a little sooner if I'm wet and dirty. I've accepted being incontinent and wearing diapers. I don't let the problem manage me and I feel good about not living in a bathroom, or being in a panic mode of "what if" all the time. Go with whatever works best you, but DON'T let the problem overrun your life and keep you from doing things and going places.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:51 am 

Rob,

I would take to your doc about your med. It doesn't sound to me like it is working, or maybe the dose needs to be adjusted. I know one thing for certain, don't slow down your fluid intake cause of the bladder problem. Over all, it really just sounds like you are making some adjustment/aceptance of the situation. Once you get the correct brief selected with the right fit you will not have any more leaks. The problem with the med could be nothing more than a doseage adjustment, but if not, maybe there's another med to try. I think I said it before, depending on the type of bladder problem you have meds may not work, or to a limited extent. Don't be to disapointed if the meds have little affect, or don't work at all....maybe they will. The last thing is acceptance...I know I have said it before, and everyone if different, you need to do what YOU think is best for you when it comes managing the problem. I would tell you that you should NOT let the problem manage you. I think a lot of pepole let the problem mange them for to long when they become incontinent. I know, for some the problem starts out samll and never gets better and goes from bad to worse over time. My advise is to find the right protection and don't live in the bathroom, panic mode, and don't reduce the intake of fluids. Relax, your in control! Find a routine that works best for YOU! I may joke about it, but I go with the flow and don't live in the bathroom. Whatever happens happens and I change in the day every 4-6 hours when I'm home, or a little sooner if I'm wet and dirty. I've accepted being incontinent and wearing diapers. I don't let the problem manage me and I feel good about not living in a bathroom, or being in a panic mode of "what if" all the time. Go with whatever works best you, but DON'T let the problem overrun your life and keep you from doing things and going places.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next