www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:44 pm 

johnstone wrote:

I don't have the option of using any other type of protection......the brief is the only level of protection that will work for me. My bladder has a mind of its own and does what it wants when it wants.

while i don't think i have total incontinence.. there are times like u my bladder seems to have a mind of its own.. like tonight..ive already gone thru 3 breifs.. and the 4th one im wering now is quite wet.. again.. ive accepted wearing diapers.. i figure i have to wear protection.. may as well wear what fits best.. of everything i have tried..briefs fit the best.. i still havent given up the toilet.. but.. reading other people suggests that i might..well.. when that day comes.. it will be ok.. im taking vesicare in hopes that i get out of diapers.. but.. if it doesnt do that.. if i cannot escape using pads thru some surgery, then i probably will give up using the toilet for no 1.. just to make life easier.. but not yet

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:27 pm 

Rob,

I've been there and done that. I really hope the med(s) work for you. I have tried using a lot of different meds for my bladder and NONE solve the problem. Some of the meds help with the muslcle contraction but that's as good as it gets for me. The root of my incon problem is nerve damage in L4, L5, and S1. I have "some" back isses but at least they are not bad...... most of the time.

You might want to use a pad inside the brief on heavy days. However, if you are approved for the program and receive Attends in large quanities then you may only want to use a pad in the brief at night, or on long day outing.

When I'm at home, I don't change every hour during the day. About every 4 hours in the day when I'm at home. Sometimes a little longer, but at 4 hours I'm pretty wet, and at 6 hours I'm soaked. At night I use a pad so I don't need to get up in the night and change. I have to buy the pads, but I only use them for night and long day outing. Diaper are free but pads I still have to buy. I still have a case of the Abri X-Plus briefs and they are really good for night use and long day outing.

Don't be disapointed, if the meds don't work. For some, meds work GREAT, but for others depending on the type of incontince you have they may not work so well. I think a LOT of people start out with the same thoughts you have about wearing the brief and using the bathroom. Don't be disapointed if you use the bathroom less and less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:40 am 

John,, its not a question of if.. i have medicaid and an incontinence diagnosis.. i think approval is a given..

I think kendall wings supreme should be adequate.. thats what im hoping anyway..right now im waiting on the nurse to give me a call back

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:25 pm 

Rob,

Hope the Kindall Wings work OK for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:31 am 

im gonna get samples of some diapers in a few days.. ill try em out..see what works.. its a bit of a trade off.. wings supreme has what I'm looking for in a diaper.. 3 tapes and a waistband..but the attends 8 is more absorbent but has no waistband..which may make it harder to use the toilet and may not as fit well.. but as you pointed out..i may not use the toilet eventually..which makes absorbency more important and ease of using the toilet less crucial.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:29 pm 

Rob,

As you know, the Attends 8 are much better than the Wings. Either way, in time you will use the bathroom less and less which will also weaken the bladder muscles until you get to the point you just accept it as a way of life. I think this is pretty much "normal" for many of us that are incontinent of urine. Many of us start out thinking maybe I will go back not being continent,..... and for some this does happen via meds, surgery, or both. For others, me included, being incontinent is not going to go away, and unless I want to life in the bathroom (and that will only help some and does not make the problem go away), I need to manage the problem and not let the problem manage me. I'm not totally incontinent of both yet, but I know my bowel muscles have become much weaker. I'm wet and will be soaked dirty before I chnage and I really don't care about like I use to. Being diaper dependent is just a way of life for me now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:26 pm 

They sent me wings supreme and tena ultra..

so far.. i dont know.. both seem good..not sure how absorbent Tena is.. but.. wings are easier to pull down to use the toilet.. and seem to fit better than Tena.. tena seems too tight at the crotch.. i have to spread my legs wide to put them on.. and the tapes on those are a bit small.. between the 2..id have to go for wings for comfort..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:05 pm 

Rob,

I would recommend you try the Attends 8 and see what you think about those. I thiunk most of the products on the market today were desiged for women......use by men were just an after thought. Fit is important as you already know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:34 am 

And why do you think that is?
Answer: sterotype! we have been told that incontinence only affects women. and old people! Bullshit! if that's the case, why am i peeing without control? Incontinence affects me most definently.. i would give anything oh.. anything to not have to wear diapers..my skin would be soo much happier... but..things are better now that im in diapers..dont have to put up with wet underwear..not no more..

BTW..after ive gotten a diaper wet..how long can i go without changing it safely? What ive been doing is just wearing a diaper until its wet enough to change.. like this morning i wet just a little bit..but wore the same diaper up untll 5 p.m. Is that safe? Or should i change more often? I havent had any major rashes.. though i do think there is some rash there

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:06 am 

Rob,

I maybe wrong, but I kinda have the feeling that the manufactures of incon product design these products primarily for women. From what I have read, there are far more incon women than men. So, that's who the manufactures market to. Anyway, it is what it is, and and as long as you find one product that works for you that is the only thing that counts.

I can go all day in a wet diaper without any problem. However, to do this I need a high quality diaper that is made for extended use. Abri X-Plus, or Molicare come to mind. There are really two issues here when you ask how long can you safely go before changing. First, the diaper. How much will the diaper hold before it starts to leak? The second issue is skin care. I found that taking a shower in the morning, and at night before bed works well for me. At night, after showering I use A&D on the skin before getting ready for bed with a pad inserted into the diaper for night use. Like many, I need my 8 hours of sleep to really feel good the following day.

Having a nueogenic bladder I have small loses of urine all the time. If I chenged everytime I got a little wet, I would spend my whole day changing diapers. LOL The Medline diapers I receive for free are OK, and without a pad, or liner will last about 6 hours (+/-) before they are soaked and start to leak. Using a pad, or liner will take me to about 10 hours, or so before thay are soaked and could start leaking.

As long as you have a diaper that will hold the volume of fluid and don't have any skin issues, you can hold off changing until the diaper becomes soaked. When at home, I change every 4-6 hours in the day, and if I go places for that same amount of time, or longer, I use a pad in the diaper, or one of the Abri X-Plus diapers I have.

How many diapers are you going to receive each month? I've mentioned this before, but I receive 240 diapers per month....that's figures out to be 8 diapers per day.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next