www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:05 pm 

they did the urodynamics on the 14th.. and today i had an appt with the doc..and he said i dont seem ot have a detrusor instability.. the pressure is a bit high and the flow a bit low.. they want me to try more meds... dammit..the one thing i was hoping they woudlnt say..more meds probably means more pads.. maybe i should ask about cathing.. ugh.

Why is this happening to me? i just wish i could live normally without making trips to the bathroom..
[/list]

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:21 pm 

sociologygeek, your test sounded pretty close to what mine did and the Doctor treatment the same too. Sandy and the others have said many times that meds have eneded up causing more problems than what they are worth and now I too can say that. The first medication he put me on, caused my bladder to shut down and because of this, I was put into a foley cath for a week, then the next two weeks, I couldn't go unless I self cathed, and now, I am at the point that I have to use briefs and self cath to make sure I empty. Cathing has caused several bladder infections for me already. Good protection for my needs is better.

Hang in there and don't let it get you down to much. Sandy, Joe, Paul, schoopy and many others on here are great for support and knowledge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:32 pm 

KT.. i think your right.. I dont think i had the wetting episodes i have now before i started taking the Detrol.. befrore.. it was little dribbles.. now.. sometimes..if i dont go to the bathroom right when my bladder says it wants to..i can flood.. ive been wearing briefs.. it used to be just guards.. i don't trust undergarments any more.. i was wearing one a few weeks back at a freinds house.. and i flooded it.. i completly flooded it.. i was damn lucky it didn't leak.. but.. whats really aggravatging is sometimes i flood.. but other times i dribble.. im kinda tempted to "potty untrain" and give up the toilet for no 1 rather than visit the toilet every hour.. but then..that wouldnt be socially acceptible. well. SCREW social acceptance! Also.. sometimes.. using the toilet while wearing diapers..its harder to get the diaper back on..

i dont mean to sound like an ab/dl..but some days.. giving up the toilet seems really tempting.. sigh..will this ever end?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:50 am 

Is this whole thing in my head? It seems as if the docs cant find anything wrong..yet i know i still leak.. sometiemes its a little..sometimes its a lot.. dammit.. it sounds like they dont know what the hell theyre treating..every appointemnt theyve marked a differerent thing on the damn sheet.. my first visit.. he marked stress incontience male and OAB..second visit he marked neurgenic bladdder.. after my urodynamics appt.. they marked urinary urgency and urinary frequency.. and at this last appt.. he marked stress incontinnce male.. wait a sec...stress incon.. isnt that where u leak when u laugh or lift? my leaks happen when im not doing anything except standing still.. i think sometimes they happen when im running water.. dammit.. i wish i knew.. all i know is..its gotten worse. Much worse than before.. before it was little dribbles..but now its floods..f it were my choice..id have no leaks at all..id go to the bathroom like a normal person.. ugh this is frustrating..but its better than before.. before i wore pads i put up with wet underwear in silence..but now.. no fricking more..id rather wear diapers and be dry.. than go back to reg underwear without getting this resolved.. I really appreciate your guys's support..KT.. what causes your incontiennce?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:10 am 

As far as my doctor know, he doesn't know what is causing mine yet either. He has called it OAB, some stress, and some nuraginic. It is possible to have a mixure of them. For the longest time, I cut my liquid intake down so low that last Oct. I got sick which caused sever dehydration, and my kidneys to shut down for a day or two. I was just an hour or so away from having to have dialisys just to take all the fluid out they put in. Since then, I have started wearing briefs all the time and really trying to work on my liquid intake. After what I went through last Oct, proved to me that doctors can't always find an answer and sometimes they don't care as long as something is treatable in thier eyes. Another thing that isn't helping my bladder is that I have had about 16 spinal nerve blocks since Dec last year. These paryalize me from the neck down for most of a day. During this time, I don't feel anything so I don't know how full my bladder is. Many times they have cathed me and taken out 1200 to 1500cc of fluids and the times they wait this long, my protection is wet as well from me leaking, but since I can't feel anything, I can't tell it's wet. Them streching out my bladder has made it to where I am not empty when I am done, so now the Dr. has me self cathing every so often so make sure it all comes out. This has helped some but not totally.

I am by no means even close to be one that could give advise but willing to give back the support that those here have given me.

Post subject: Inconclusive....
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:36 pm 

Good word....

Medical science is great, and medical technology is helpful (I recently started on an insulin pump and continuous glucose monitoring system), but we sometimes assume that everything can be explained or diagnosed. Your situation sounds very much like mine; after all the testing, trials of meds (and even interstim trial), my urologist and I agreed to meet in a year for a check-in and to see if any medical advances had been made that might help. As I have written before, "Neurogenic Bladder" is a vague, cover-all term meaning that something is not working right, but we don't know exactly what or have anything to "cure" it. Ah, well.....

If something helps, then great. I'm down to diapers 24/7 and coping quite well overall, so I'm not happy about it, but content that I'm doing all I can, having been through all this. My hope for you is that you do find something that helps, and that your adjustment to whatever the outcome will be is ok.

Gimwet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:47 pm 

yeah.. things could be worse..i suppose i should be grateful for little things.. like bowel control... that may not be 100% either..not sure.. today i had to do no 2.. and i dindt feel safe putting it off until i got home.. went to the bathroom at k-mart..i didnt have an accident..but i had to clech to keep it in..

I have had occasional bowel accidents..but not as much as urinary accidents.. i havent had any this year.. but i remember i had one back in 2004.. and i don't remember when the other one was. I wont worry too much about it.. they did a colonoscopy back in 2006.. nothing was wrong then.. one thing thats great though is recently ive had regular bowel movements.. perhaps its the increase in water..
Again.. while i still may lack some bladder control..i still have bowel control.. and im really thankful for t hat..

About the medication..im really hestitant.. somehow i think it may have made my problems worse.. i don't know..