www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:30 pm 

Just saw the uro today..told him what was going on..how the detrol didnt work...finally.. hes gonna have me undergo urodynamics.. He said i may have a neurogenic bladder... What sort of protection does that usallly require..i was wearing an undergarment to day.. and while i didnt soak it.. i almost didnt feel secure..and it seemed as if i emtied what was in the bladder completely into the pad..but it wasnt a full bladder.. thanfully..it didnt leak... but. again.. i think i was lucky

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

Post subject: Neurogenic Bladder
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:24 am 

Hi sociologygeek--

This is my diagnosis, too......and an incredibly vague one. It could be stated in the form of "Well, you certainly have a bladder dysfunction, and it has to do with nerve/muscle connection, but we don't know what is causing it or anything to do about it". Some people with this diagnosis retain urine (requiring self-cath), and others, like me, can't consistently contain the urine. So you see, it covers a lot of territory.

Urodynamics might show more, or do as it did in my case, which was to confirm what I already knew----it's inconsistent! Been through all the meds, and even a trial of the Interstim implant----all to no avail. I'm not trying to discourage you, but to let you know that the term is more of a categorization than a diagnosis, because it doesn't necessarily lead to a treatment or "cure".

Gimwet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:56 pm 

Thanks Gimwet!

Yeah..it looks i didnt give the doc his due when i chewed him out as arrogant on here.. seems like he knew what was going on.. but i dindnt fully understand.. My apologies for defaming him on here..hope he doesn't read the boards! well im off detrol now..

Talk to u later!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:43 pm 

I too have a neurogenic bladder. I also have neuropthy! I think the two go together. Instead of diapers I chose to wear a condom catheter and a leg bag. I have a bag that is quiet, and I never have slippage with my catheter. I never have to worry about leaks! I called around and tried different kinds to see what was best for me. Oh my Insurance pays for them!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:10 am 

I'm certainly not an expert on this subject, but I think having a neurogenic bladder is extremely common among those of us that are incon. As far as I know,...... anyone that is incon from nerve damage will also have neuropthy. I maybe wrong, but as far as I know, anyone that is incon from nerve damage will have neuropthy and a neuro bladder, and/or neuro bowel incontinence too.

If the cath works for you great,.....I've tried using one a couple of times and hated it. I even tried using it just at night and still had issues with it. It does have many advantages, but also has it's disadvantages, and since I'm bowel incon I need to wear a diaper anyway. I assume from your comment that your insurance didn't cover the cost of diapers, but they would cover the cost of using catheters. If so, not having the expense of buying diapers is an incentive to use the cath if it works for you. I'm lucky that all of my meds, including incon supplies (diapers, or cath's) are provided to me free of charge by the Veterans Affairs (VA) since I'm a disabled vet. Everyone in this forum knows,....there is no such thing as inexpensive diapers,.....even Wings as bad as they are still cost money. There is nothing inexpensive about incon items, but more important than cost is your health. Being "homebound" and stuck inside your home due to inadequate incon protection is not healthy, so selecting the right type incon protection that meets your needs is. I've always said use whatever protection works best for you. Yur opinion is the only one that counts, and if the cath has no cost to you then that's a bonus as long as your satisfied with the use of the product.

Just my thoughts.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:44 pm 

Johnstone, A condom catheter won't work for you if you are bowel incon too! I am only urinary incontinent so they work well for me. I have good ones that stay on for 24 hours and no pop offs!.
I am not Military and I thank you for your service!