www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:59 pm 

Has anyone tried the Alphadry male catheter? My dad has started using it. He has been incontinent since 1989 when he had his prostate removed because of prostate cancer. We are going to Cleveland Clinic to see an Urologist specializing in male incontinence. We are trying to see what help is available for his incontinence. This doctor has used the AMS Advantage male sling surgery. My dad has severe incontinence, no control of his bladder. He uses diapers all the time, except recently when he has used the Alphadry. I think with his limited usage, about 10 times, it shows promise. My dad feels it is more comfortable than diapers and it keeps him dry. Also he is regaining his sensation of urinating which he has lost while wearing diapers. He has worn it for up to ten hours. There are people who wear it 24/7. He has problems securing the device, condom, so that it is not too tight, nor too loose. He has trouble using it at night. His urine isn"t flowing to the reservoir, but backing into his bladder. This is not much, 3-4 oz. , since his bladder has been nonfunctional for so many years. Has anyone used penile clamps? I feel that this forum is the best one I have found. My dad and I will share what we find out. I will include two websites, Alphadry and the best clamp that I found. http://www.alphadry.com/index.htm
http://ppstop.com/
http://www.dribblestop.com/
Thanks, Fred[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:13 am 

Fred,
I have pulled up an old post that Joe K mentioned about another support group for incontinent people. It is listed under "general discussion". Look at that topic to get their address. Several members in that group have successfully used condom tyoe cath's and may know about the type you are asking about. Thanks so much for your post!! ...........Paul Martin

Post subject: Condom caths
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:54 am 

Please be sure to check out our condom cath information...you need to go to "Understanding" in our main menu on the home page and then pick "catheters".

I, personally, would be afraid of penile clamps and would NEVER consider using one without some strong doctor/urologist advice and assurance that using it would not cause any blood flow problems to the penis.

The most difficult part about condom caths is securing them, of course. And even with sucessful, leak free performance, condom cath use causes skin problems for most, thus limiting the days (or weeks) that they can be used. Diapers will most likely play an important role even with sucessful condom cath use. Many find diapers are the only secure and comfortable management tool for overnight use.

Sheath urinals may offer some men a better long tem solution since they do not adhere but merely encompass the penis and use straps to secure the sheath to the body. After that the tubing and leg bag is the same.

The Alpha dry "bag" is built in and supported by underwear briefs and tho they say you can empty it at a urinal, it's no problem to empty a conventional leg bag in the privacy of a stall where you put your foot up on the bowl and open the bottom valve to your bag and "urinate" into the toilet.

My two cents.....
JoeK