www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:19 pm 

Hey all,

It's been about a year and a half since my diagnosis with urge incontinence (though problems had been ongoing for a while before the diagnosis), particularly the variety with spasms in the detrusor muscle. Initially I was prescribed Detrol, but after four months of eyes so dry my contact lenses would simply fall out, I discontinued it, and stopped actively looking for pharmaceutical treatment.

Now, I've been smoking pot recreationally for a number of years, but recently I switched over to vaporizing concentrates due to respiratory tract issues. These days, I've been getting oil that comes in cartridges like an electronic cigarette, and one "flavor" or strain is of an Indica plant with a very high CBD content. For those who don't know, cannabis contains two major components that affect the body: THC and CBD, along with many other less prevalent chemicals of the same class.

Essentially, THC (generally the more prevalent of the two) is what's responsible for most of the "high" feeling of cannabis, along with the potential paranoia, rapid heartbeat, and other effects. CBD, on the other hand, is what's responsible for the therapeutic effects of cannabis, such as soothing the digestive tract and decreasing inflammation.

On my days off from work, when I can afford to veg out and vape this new strain of oil for a while, I've found that once my bladder's full and the urge hits, the twitching or fluttering feeling from my bladder is almost entirely gone for a few hours. Not only that, but I think given my usual water intake, the urge might not hit for another 30 or 45 minutes compared to when I'm sober.

Unfortunately, I don't live in a state where medical marijuana can be prescribed easily, since it's limited to patients of certain conditions only. However, Massachusetts is nearby, where it's recently become legal for all :wink:

Has anyone else tried cannabis to help with urge incontinence? Or noticed a decrease in urgency when smoking it just for kicks? I'm curious as to whether I'm just an anomaly here, or whether we should be pushing for CBD to be recognized as a valid treatment option!