www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Caregivers
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:48 pm 

Do any of you have caregivers like a nurse.

Post subject: Re: Caregivers
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:56 pm 

Nope.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:53 am 

For several weeks shortly after a surgery that had complications.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:32 am 

No. in fact it is going to the be other way roiund soon as my wife is having foot surgery and I will be a 'cre-giver' while she heals up.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:07 pm 

My wife is an ER nurse and she is able to help me with a lot of things relative to my condition. She has assisted with diaper changes to show her support, though I don't require assistance for that. It is nice to know she is there if I need her. When we go out she usually asks me if I have my diaper bag in the car. Just in case. The one thing I do need her for is when I need to have a foley inserted. My urinary frequency sometimes gets to be too much to handle and I need to be catheterized so that I can sleep and be comfortable.....the other day I went to the bathroom a record 25 times!!!! 25 times!!!!!! (0800-2200 hours) finally at 2200, she just put the catheter in me so that I would be able to get some sleep. So, I guess I kind of have a private duty nurse at home.......it sure is handy......

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:09 am 

I have a 24/7 nurse at home who cares for all my needs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:04 pm 

Although I take pride in my independence, back in the years 1998 & 1999, my urologist gave me a series of botox shots in an effort to calm my bladder spasms. My reaction to the anesthesia made home care necessary for the day after each shot. Although the caregivers were competent, resuming my independence was always important for me. All my doctors are aware of my sphincterotomy, and never fail to question me about how I am managing and do I feel the need for home care. I don't.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:16 am 

I have carers from an agency at moment but I usually employ PAs. I self direct all my support.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:16 am 

The only time I have a caregiver is when I am in the VA hospital for my annual Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) eval/testing. The are many days that I could use some help at home just doing the basics, and I'm sure if I made a big deal out of it the VA would authorize a part time home health aid to come and visit me on days when it is difficult for me to care for my self. I've heard the VA will pay for up to 10, or 12 hours per week. I'm not sure of the hours, but I know its at least 10 hours per week. I'm pretty mobile most of the time, but on days when I am having severe pain issues and can't move around much it sure would be good to pick up the phone and call a number to have a health aid come help me for a while. There are weeks, that go by when I do just fine, but then without notice I start having severe pain issues that cause me to pretty much stay in one place most of the day without eating, changing, or anything without incurring additional pain with movement. I am due for my annual SCI visit so I think I will mention this to the social worked on this visit. I don't need anyone 10 hrs per week every week, but it would be nice to be able to pick up the phone and call a number for some help on days when I have restricted movement.