www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:17 pm 

Hey, by my nick, maybe some of u guessed that im a sociology major. One issue i have with changing in public is i have to do it on campus. Normally, changing in public wouldn't be a big deal. But, in this case, it is a big deal. I go to a university where the student body is only 3,000 students. My biggest fear is the off chance that when I'm throwing a used diaper away in the trash, someone i know will walk in. That is my biggest fear. There's no way i can avoid changing in public, other than wear Abena. i just dont know. Im a tall guy, so when i stand up in a stall, anyone can see me.. and hearing a diaper being taped on..well, its just an akward situation. Any ideas on how to deal with this would help. Thanks!

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:29 am 

This is an easy one to answer. Use a extended wear diaper, or booster pads. I would recommend using the Abri X-Plus diaper for extended wear. I can wear one of these diapers for about 10 hours before I run the risk of a leak. They don't have any bulk, or make any nosie when you walk so they are really non-detetable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:47 am 

Honestly... fear of changing in public is just a mental thing. Believe me... nobody is going to say anything about what you do in a bathroom stall. Once you've done it enough you'll get used to it and it won't bother you.

I mean seriously, think about it. How would you even broach the subject with someone, and why? What happens in restrooms is private business... and 99% of people are just in there to attend to their own urgent needs and be on their way ASAP. Don't look anyone in the eye... don't talk to anyone... do what you need to do and get out. It's just proper manners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:16 am 

Actually, i don't have to do either. I found a way around this. It just so happens that in the basement of one of the buildings on campus, there is a unisex bathroom. I can go in there, there's one toilet, and i can LOCK the bathroom door. Totally private setting. No worries about someone coming in the door. i used this to change before work today, and its the first time i was totally at ease about it. Of course, it will take some getting used to.. I either have the option of spreading out on the floor to change, or standing against the wall...im not used to putting in a digntiy booster while laying down, today i tried that, and it felt akward. had to redo the diaper. Anyway, im getting better with that. Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:39 am 

It must be me, but I will only change in a public restroom if its an emergency. When I leave home and go some place I pretty much know how long I'm going to be gone so if I'm going to be gone for several hours, I wear an extended wear diaper. If I'm going the the store and will only be away from home say an hour or so, then a regular diaper works fine for me. I just don't feel comfortable going into a public restroom carring a plastic bag containing a new diaper and then going into a stall to change. When you exit the stall there is always the task of disposing the plastic bag containing the old diaper. If anyone else is in the bathroom there is no way you can conseal tossing a plastic bag away in the trash. Only if I have a leak (and a big one at that) will I even consider changing in a public restroom. I've been wet and messy many times when I was out in public and waited to get home before changing. As long as there is no odor, or any leaks, I can always wait a while before changing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:00 am 

Everyone has varying degrees of comfort when it comes to changing in public.

Typically if I am going to be out for a while I will strap on an extra absorbant diaper so I don't have to worry about needing a change until I get home. However at places like work or hanging out with my friends I am more than comfortable slipping into whatever restroom is nearby and changing.

Working in a big warehouse and doing some weekend wrenching on a car are two places where I've found that thick diapers just don't work for me. I need the freedom to be able to move around and can definately do without the extra heat from so much padding... so I stick to thinner ones and change when I need to.

I have been using Abena Abri-Form Supers for a while now... amazingly thin and comfortable, yet they have enough capacity to last 4-6 hours... which is long enough to handle a lot of activities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:23 pm 

One thing you can do in a public bathroom is leave your diaper in the corner or on top of the toilet. Yes I know how inappropriate that is :shock: But if you stop and think about it you may give them a hint to put a small trash can in the stalls.

I've seen the case in point at a restaurant some years back that my Husband and I often go to. Someone was leaving their protection rolled up in the corner of the stall. I saw this several times and then they put a small trash can in the stall. End of problem ...............Sandy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:20 pm 

LOL sandy, no way would i do that...