www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:20 am 

I have been incontinent for about a year now although for the first few months my problem was so slight it wasn't really noticeable. It started with some slight dribbling during the day. I would notice that sometimes my underwear would be slightly damp or by the end of the day urine stained. This continued on and off until about 7 months ago I woke one morning to find I had wet the bed. I was shocked because although as a child and teenager I was a chronic bedwetter I hadn't wet the bed for many years and certainly not since being married. I was very embarrassed but fortunately my wife was very understanding and said not to worry. Like me she had been a late bedwetter and also she works in a care home for the elderly so deals with incontinence on a daily basis.
She suggested that I should see the doctor who refered me to a urologist and following various tests it was decided that my incontinence was caused by my slightly enlarged prostate and my diabetes. I now take pills to combat these effects. I was also refered to a continence nurse to help and advise with the practical side of managing incontinence as I soon discovered the bedwetting wasn't a one off.
My wife soon got a waterproof cover for our bed plus a kylie for me to sleep on. I now wear tena maxi pads and net pants at night which for the most part contains my night time wetting which now happens about 3 or 4 nights a week. During the day I wear washable incontinence briefs with a built in pad or tena male pads level 2 inside normal underwear.
If I am away from home I sleep in tena pull ups which are easier to dispose of and deal with than net pants and pads. We have a light weight bed pad that easily goes in my now necesary travel beag with pants and pads, nappy cream etc.
I am so grateful for having such an understanding partener who has helped me adjust to my new situation. It has certainly been a learning curve.
My incontinence seems to show no sign of improvement but fortunately seems to be stable at the present level which I have become acustomed to coping with and find it just a minor inconvenience rather than a major problem.
Talking to the continence nurse and urologist helped a lot and I was quite suprised to be told there were many men my age with similar problems.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:24 am 

Congratulations on quickly learning how to so what is necessary to manage your condition. It sounds as if you are adapting well.