www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:07 pm 

Lets face it.. cleaning up after a bowel accident when you are all by yourself especially in public can be daunting. One major issue is that sometimes the fecal matter is contained mostly in the diaper when it is removed, but some of the time it is the sticky kind of matter that sticks to the user. when you can't see your behind, its harder to know where to wipe, and sometimes wipes dont cover enough of an area. After cleaning up a bowel movement in the diaper, I came upon this hack. You take a chux pad and surround the fecal matter on your body and use it to wipe it off in a sweeping motion from the inside out. . A wipe would not contain an entire load of fecal matter in one swipe, but in my case the underpad did. Not to mention there is less chance of getting fecal matter on you hands. Follow up with wipes after ward. perhaps a reusable underpad would work better for this than a chux pad since a chux pad is easier to rip.

Hope this helps someone.

Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:09 pm 

Great idea. I'll ty it myself the next time my GI system misbehaves. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:21 pm 

I'm sorry if my description of the wiping method was confusing. Basically, with the chux acting as a barrier between my hand and the fecal matter, I felt for the mass that was still stuck to my body, and cupped the underpad around it, and made a wiping motion flush on the skin back toward my buttocks. Always wipe front to back :). I used to only use underpads to protect my furniture from rash cream while aring out, but a while back when I ran out of toilet paper, i discovered that they are useful for impropmptu toilet paper. which in turn gave me the idea to uise them to wipe off the bowel movement. A word of caution however.. the underpad is dry and it might be rough on the skin somewhat.

Post subject: Follow up
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:28 pm 

Hey all.

There was a situation last night where my bowels were complaining and wanting to be emptied.. and knowing my body like I do.. I knew that it would be a fight to keep the fecal matter in, and a painful one at that.. and I was not guaranteed to make it all the way home without an accident.. so I just let it go.. and got cleaned up at home. This post's purpose is a follow up to my initial post describing bowel clean up hacks. I noticed that this site in its primer doesn't have a lot of tips for effective bowel cleanup on the go. Since I deal with occasional bowel accidents that have varied in consistency and cleanup techinque, I volunteer myself as tribute. In this case, the bowel movement was more liquid than solid.. which happens quite frequently with me. That often indicates constipation,since hard fecal matter partially obstructs the colon so the liquid less formed stool seeps through.. but I digress.. I found that with a more liquid type diahrrea bowel movement, wiping with an underpad to contain the mass on the user's body wasn't necessary,though useful. THe reason is that an adult wipe, or even baby wipe would be sufficient given you have enough of them. It's just a matter of going by feel to make sure you wipe every area from your mid thigh inward to your groin to up above your buttocks.. since you can't always know just by feel where the fecal matter may be, I'd suggest a complete wipe down of the area. I actually did end up using chux pads vs wipes because my wipes I had on hand were left in my car at work and froze! So, my takeaway from this was that underpads for wiping were only necessary if the bowel movement is solid and whole parts tend to stick to the body. I know this is gross to talk about, but get over it. Its a reality that people deal with.