www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 6:42 pm 

I'm sure this topic has been covered extensively, but I have thought I'd give a shout out to the laundry detergent I found that seems to work really well.

So... sometimes I accidently pee on stuff, right? Also I started using cloth at night exclusively. Cool and comfortable. No leaks. But... yeah ammonia smell. Not pleasant. But I think I found a good detergent.

The Tide Ultra Oxi works in one wash for me, and from my nose's perspective: leaves no trace. Also, I find the scent pleasant. I haven't noticed any skin irritation either.

I know everyone has different water types, and needs but if you were looking to try something new or different you could give the Tide a shot. Not all Tide's work the same I don't think. The Tide Sport I have will NOT work on my cloth diapers, but the Oxi will.

Just thought I'd post this as it was a nice surprise to see how well it worked.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 7:03 am 

The instructions from my washer's manufacturer specify he (high efficiency), which, with Clorox every second or third load, works well for me. Thanks for the information.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 10:29 am 

Ok, so you use bleach? I think I might try some bleach.

I've read so many differing opinions in articles, and even posts here. I'm not opposed, but I've mostly seen comments that say stay away from bleach. TBH it's not 100% clear to me why.

I have a relatively short amount of experience with all of this so I rely on advice from folks who have more than I.

Thank you for throwing that in there. That's helpful.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 12:12 pm 

I've been using and washing cloth diapers for well over ten years. My experience has shown me that regular use of bleach will significantly shorten the life of cloth diapers.
Very-very occasionally I will strip them with hot water and bleach, but that is very rarely. Less than once a month. Right now I can line dry diapers in the sun and that goes a long to keeping them fresh smelling. Off the line they are a bit stiff. I put them into the dryer on "no heat" setting for a few minutes and that softens them up.
Perhaps another experienced cloth user can weigh in on using bleach?

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 3:02 pm 

I do “Pre-wash” cycle pretty often, trying never to allow the strong ammonia smell to develop, which means washing diapers generally every other day, maximum. For the most part, I use Arm and Hammer Oxy or Tide pods detergent *and* always Borax with every wash, including Clorox 2. I use chlorine bleach when the diapers begin to appear dingy or develop an ammonia odor, which generally occurs in a week or two. When I wash diapers, there’s a maximum of twelve (two days worth) diapers in a load, which is a lot in my heavy duty oversized front load machine. I use the Hot wash and Warm rinse temperatures and “normal” wash cycle.
I’d love to hang diapers out to dry but with my work schedule and the high humidity here, it’s not usually practical. Further, I don’t like to air my laundry so that passers-by can view a dozen adult diapers on a line…
There are some that suggest to not use chlorine bleach on diapers, and I agree that using it every wash could reduce the life of the material, but chlorine is necessary periodically to kill germs and maintain a clean white appearance. I buy two new diaper sets (sets of 2) every 6-12 months, generally based on the quantity of day-use diapers.
New thicker diapers used at night. These diapers are usually too thick to wear during the day.
Older ones used on normal days (day use). I have enough older diapers for a week or longer.
Oldest diapers are used as boosters or period days.
After that, they are moved to my husband’s shop or trashed.
I’ve had a lifetime to collect a a pretty large inventory or diapers and pants. If someone decides to use cloth extensively, it’s not a cheap investment. But, if one needs a great nighttime leakage solution, cloth is the way to go!

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 3:35 pm 

I'm with Ellyn on the line drying. A little sun power can kill a lot of bacteria. But yeah.... I don't really have the privacy I need to do that in my backyard.

Ellyn: what does the borax do? I've seen it as laundry tips for different things, and I've used it before, but I'm not sure I know if I've noticed a difference.

Also, SteveM: or anyone that can explain. What is "stripping" the diapers? I've heard the term a lot, but I guess I really don't know what all it's doing.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 8:33 pm 

When I started using gauze flat diapers with boosters around the house almost exclusively, washing them became something I had to get right. I always cold rinse my wet diapers by hand right away when I change. I try not to exceed 3 days before washing.

Now came the experiments of washing in hard water (mostly carbonate hardness) in a top loading washer with few cycle options.
Started out with Free and Clear type liquid detergent in hot water; the cycle only used a cold rinse. After a couple of washings I noticed pilling on the fabric and stiffening as well. Then I added another hot wash cycle with just water too make sure they were well rinsed. No improvement. Then I did a water hardness test to be sure I was going to add enough Borax and added it to the wash cycle, better results, but the second hot rinse (wash cycle) still seemed necessary. After a couple of staining incidents which didn't wash clean, I added a 1/2 scoop of Oxyclean to the wash mix. That took care of the stains but the stiffening got worse. Adding about 1 1/2 cups of distilled vinegar to the final hot rinse cycle began to soften the fabric. After 3 washings they got soft like the vendor claimed they should be. I've been using this procedure for months now and no problems.

The good news is so far no rashes even if I have to stay wet for a couple of hours and no bad smells. Borax and Oxyclean seem to keep the "bugs" at bay.

I do put a little Chlorox into my empty diaper pails about once a week then rinse it out before putting in any diapers.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 11:05 am 

Stan wrote:
I always cold rinse my wet diapers by hand right away

I also do this. I wasn't using cold water but I read that it would be better for rinsing it out, without adding something like baking soda to break down uric acid.

Will be using cold water from now on.