www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:54 pm 

Hi all!
We were one of the Texas families that didn’t have electricity for several days during the “cold snap” but we were fortunate to have a generator. The generator powered our furnace fans, lights, tankless water heater controller (LP), and other necessities. What it didn’t do was to power the clothes washer or any other high electricity use appliances.
Anyway, during this time, I used disposable diapers, though my supply was limited so I got a little creative at the end of the power outage. Even though I had several bags of disposables remaining, I started using a single cloth diaper with folded cloth “boosters” at the center to conserve the disposables.
I’m a slow, nearly constant leaker except when I gush when exerting myself, sometimes as simply as standing up. Nighttime is usually a bad time for leakage, which generally requires a premium disposable with a booster or double cloth diapers, which I use most of the time. During the day, I usually choose to wear double (thinner) cloth under a dress and control brief to manage my leakage. Because I’m quite short and very slender (no butt...), the diapers fill me out and make me appear more normal and less anorexic! I have a healthy selection of looser printed dresses that conceal the diaper outline quite well. When I’m in jeans or shorts, I use a disposable.
Anyway, my point.... I started using a single diaper with two of those yellow microfiber towels from Sams, folded together into thirds and placed at the center of the diaper. The thought being that if I had to wash by hand, as we had no idea when our power would be restored, washing one diaper and small towels would be easier. It’s not like the absorbency of double diapers but worked quite well with a less padded profile. I’ve also used the double towel booster solution in disposables when I ran out of boosters. It lacks the convenience of simply rolling the diaper and discarding but honestly, a simple rinse and launder (with whites) worked quite well. Those small towels are cheap, comfortable, very absorbent, and didn’t bunch.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:58 pm 

Ellyn,
Kudos on your creative solution. I have been thinking of you, and all the other incontinents in Texas who have had to endure this arctic cold snap. It must have been brutal. Keep up your success stories; we need them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:49 pm 

I have to say this is a concept that I have been using (and constantly promoting here) for many years, and Ellyn is absolutely correct, it works well and is adaptable to your situation by using one, two, or more cotton (or microfiber) pads. It works especially well when traveling as you can rinse and hang the cloths to dry or simply throw them out when rinsing is not possible. Using this concept has all but eliminated nighttime leaks for me even though I'm a side sleeper. I still use a PUL pant over everything but have virtually never needed it.

FYI...I use WalMart 100% cotton Flour Sack Towels (10 for $8) folded into a 12 layer pad and they work exactly as Ellyn has described.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:36 pm 

Great to hear things are back to normal for you Ellyn! Are you talking about the microfiber cloth you would use to not scratch the paint on your car, or TV screen?

I have been thinking about adding some cloth cover or something to my night protection. I also fit the side sleeper category, and sounds like you guys would promote that for stopping the leaks. One thing that stops me is laundry, and trying to keep up with that. The other is I still don't know anything about using them, but I've been doing more reading on the subject. In another post folks were talking about a leak stopping cover. That looks perfect, but it's $70 for one, and I'd probably need at least 2 so I had one clean one at all times. I already have a Gary pant, unfortunately there's a seem right on the side of the dang things, and there's no where for leaks to go off they make in to the Gary pants. I've thought about stuffing the side with some cloth or booster pads. This is tricky.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:29 pm 

Padded53,
You’re right! I do remember you writing about the flower sack booster! I went with the microfiber, used often by my husband to dry and polish the cars, as they are super absorbent and very soft. They are actually much softer than the Birdseye weave diapers and likely as or more absorbent. They not inexpensive at Sams but you get several dozen I think for maybe $0.50 each (guess), and they are washable Many times. I know because I’m the one washing those things all the time. Honestly, I think I like them better than the disposable boosters and no more trouble to wash than my diapers. Likely a big cost savings.
In the heat and humidity of the summer days in Texas, I’m often outside a lot for my job and I very much prefer double diapers to a single one as the single feels damp and gross pretty quickly. Disposables are by far the LEAST comfortable. Double diapers make me feel much drier, much longer in the heat, and even when I flood, double diapers wick so well that I don’t feel that damp. I’m thinking that the single diaper with microfiber booster would work and feel great in all seasons here EXCEPT summer....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:46 pm 

I also use soft cloth microfiber boosters ( from the Canadian Tire or Home Depot ) , they work great , they hold a lot and are easy to wash. I find that cloth diapers work best for me at night, and I usually double diaper with boosters.
This is what is working for me. A stretch cotton fixing pant to hold the boosters that are covered ( folded together with stretch cotton ( for added comfort), the two cloth diapers ( Rearz) then a Polyurethane laminate cover pant , stretch cotton fixing pant again (to catch any stray leak) and then a Gary plastic pant finishes it off . I have not had a problem except on a very rare occasion. I sleep with a pillow between my knees because of my back and hip issues so the extra bulk is not a problem. It was a lot of trial and error, everyone is different and you have to find what works best for you. Hope that helps a little.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:54 pm 

Ellyn
I would also agree with you , that disposables are the least comfortable. I am making the transition to cloth in the day time too. I am using the expensive disposables only for doctors appointments and other outings where cloth is just not practical.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:00 pm 

That does help alot actually I'm thinking a stretch cotton fixing pant in between the Gary pants and diaper would work. Maybe not, but I can see. You gave me some new terminology to look up products. Some configuration of what you all suggested should work.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:32 pm 

Ellyn:
Thanks for the tip on using microfiber cloths, I'm going to try those to see how they compare to the cotton ones I'm using now. I'm all for finding a better way to control our incontinence issues.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:02 pm 

Speaking of microfiber boosters, I wondered....

Are there any cloth microfiber (reusable) adult diapers on the market?

Would they be effective?

J.