www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:16 pm 

All,

Where do you keep your diaper pail and how has that worked for you?

I am using a 30-gallon Rubbermaid trash can with lid and keep it in my not air conditioned garage. That works well during cold weather, but during hot weather the temperatures in the garage are rather high and it is not even July yet. Of course, that affects how quickly odor builds up. :(

So far I have been able to contain the diaper pail odor effectively by adding about 3 tablespoons of baking soda to the bottom of the empty pail and again with each additional diaper. There is no odor in the garage and the pail is "tolerable" when I wash the diapers. :D By the time I wash the diapers the pail contains about 24 tablespoons of baking soda. Using so much baking soda not only keeps down the odor in the pail, but also eliminated the odor during the actual washing of the diapers. I buy the baking soda in 13-lb bags from Costco.

Currently I am washing diapers every third day. From previous threads am I correct that most of you wash every two days?

--John

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:37 am 

I keep bot of my cloth and disposable diaper pails in my walk in closet. Both lids full close and have decent odor blocking, but neither is perfect.

The cloth one (back when I still used cloth for at night) I kept about a gallon of water with vinegar in it. I would wash my diapers every third day and change out the water of course.

My disposable diaper pail I just use normal trash bags and spray some lysol in it when I change out the bag.

There is a very slight lingering smell, but neither my wife or I hardly even notice it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:13 pm 

I just rinse out my night diapers in the shower each morning. Then I throw them in a laundry sink in the basement with yesterdays diapers. I use cloth diapers 90% of the time. I wash the diapers about every 3-4 days. Though wearing cloth diapers saves me over $1,500.00 a year it is not the reason I wear them. Pure cotton beats paper/wood pulp/SAP's every time. Comfort and easily adjusted for absorbency, no chemicals (disposables cause me a rash if worn for a few days which is unavoidable when traveling.) It took me a long time and a reality check to go to wearing cloth diapers days as well as nights. Although I started wearing cloth diapers right from the start (cancer surgery) at night and days while recovering, I somehow was convinced (or felt) that cloth diapers were "more babyish". Why we feel that about diapers/onesies/etc. is insanity. A f...ing diaper is a diaper - period. BUT, I think many, if not all of us had/have that same belief/feeling. Such is life! Papa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:15 pm 

I keep a 5 gallon tub with a lid in the bathtub off of the master bedroom. We rarely use that bathtub so it is out of the way. I fill it half way with water and add about a cup of vinegar to help with the cleaning. When I take one off I spray it with some pine-sol, fould it and put it in the tub with the lid. I wash them about every 2 or 3 days.

Rope

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:47 pm 

Well, it sounds as if I may be the only one with a diaper pail in a hot garage. :(

I would have preferred having the diaper pail in our laundry room. That not only would have kept the diapers cooler for less odor, but also would have reduced the inconvenience of bringing the diaper pail into the house for laundering. Due to a mistake when they built our house the laundry room is too small to accommodate a diaper pail.

--John

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:58 pm 

Rope, good to see you back posting, either there are only a small amount of us that wear cloth diapers or the fact that cloth diapers really do not have a lot to talk about. They have been around forever. Cloth, usually cotton, diaper pins, plastic or PUL pants. End of story. Find what fits, adjust for absorbency and that's it. Paul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:09 pm 

John, the good thing about it all being in the basement is that it is always out of sight, and next to the washer when its time to wash. Can even go longer than 4 days and do two washes when ready. Papa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:55 am 

JDinVirginia wrote:
Well, it sounds as if I may be the only one with a diaper pail in a hot garage. :(

That's where I kept move when I was using cloth, but our washer is out there too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:10 am 

I too, keep my diaper pail in the laundry room, actual sitting in the laundry tub.

Side note: I like to conserve water where I can. When the pail is empty, I will pour the water from the dehumidifier (during the summer) into the pail, for soaking & rinsing purposes of the wet diapers.. In the cooler months, I will try to catch the final rinse water emptying from the clothes washer and save for my soaking pail.

OK, I'm cheap :roll: , but I also don't like to waste resources.

Primarily use cloth at nights, so the pail doesn’t fill up very fast. When the pail is full, time to pour the extra water from the pail and dump the remaining in the washer.