www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:59 am 

Normally I use a barrier cream with 40% zinc oxide 24/7 as it has completely prevented any pre-rash irritation or actual rashes. The downside is that the base of this rash prevention cream can accumulate on cloth diapers and be difficult to wash out (the zinc oxide itself is not causing the problem).

Of course, one recommended partial solution is to wash the diapers in lots of very hot water with multiple rinses and plenty of detergent. Periodic stripping still will be required.

While researching diaper rash creams that are "cloth-friendly," I was overwhelmed at the large number of rash creams recommended for use with cloth diapers for infants. Some of these are being promoted as being organic and environmentally friendly in addition to the ease of washing them out of cloth diapers. There are many formulations for home-mixed rash creams that are cloth-friendly. For example, coconut oil with shea butter is one such mixture.

I am thinking of trying a barrier that is "cloth-friendly" at night while still using my zinc oxide rash cream during the day.

As I do not recall this being discussed before on ISC, I would like to ask everyone what do you wear as a barrier cream with cloth diapers and has it has caused you any problems.

--John

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:16 pm 

I use blue container Desitin plus J&J cornstarch powder. At each laundry I use a pre-wash stain spray plus a hot water, extended cycle. As long as the stains are saturated, the diapers come out clean; no stripping is necessary.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:14 am 

Patrick and all,

With our new HE washer I am trying out the wash settings for a pre-rinse, heavy duty cycle, settings for extra water, very soiled clothing, and hot water temperature. I also have the temperature in my hot water tank set to a warmer than usual temp. It is too soon to be sure, but so far I seem to be avoiding "diaper funk" and a buildup of barrier cream on the diaper and stuffers. However, by wearing a 40% zinc oxide barrier cream I probably am pushing the limits of what I can expect the washer to handle well.

That is why I am looking at possible alternatives in barrier creams that may be easier for the washer to handle. I have moderately sensitive skin and, If I go without any barrier cream at night, I begin to get some pre-rash irritation that is my alarm signal to take more precautions. As I am wearing cloth overnight for an average of 11 hours, that exposes my skin to any bacteria/irritants for a substantial time.

I am very satisfied with cloth diapers and planning to buy some more diapers and stuffers so I want to make all of this work well.

The learning curve continues. :D

--John

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:11 pm 

All,

In my search for a "cloth-friendly" barrier I am trying coconut oil. Coconut oil was highly recommended for use with cloth diapers for infants, so it seems worth a try.

So far I am pleased with the results. I used coconut oil while I wore cloth for 15 hours yesterday and had no signs of any irritation. :D Of course, coconut oil does not have the antibacterial properties of a good diaper rash cream with zinc oxide. Normally I will apply my 40% zinc oxide barrier when wearing disposable diapers during the day.

--John